Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm might be time to dig that bad boy out...:hide

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our place is 16 acres. We have a barn, antique stable, carport duck house, greenhouse, shed, house, and garage. There are 2 ponds, one on the pastured 8 acres and one spring fed in the wooded 8 acres. We just moved in from our one and a half acre 'forever house'. We have 3 Finnsheep, 2 Katahdin ewes, 6 rabbits (and 11 kits), 6 Muscovy Ducks, 4 Dorking Chickens along with some Favorelle and Iowa Blue, and 6 Guineas. I have two Cane Corsos that are like my children and live in the house. My 12 week old LGD (Anatolian Shepherd) is learning new things every day. Yesterday, he learned about electricity.

We have a perimeter fence that is old barbed wire strung through trees and on wobbly old T posts. We're in the middle of renewing the fence. Hence the magic https://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=102778&criteria=ElectroFence+PLUS+11/48/12 fence. We have 400ft and the cost for the fence and the charger was only about $1000 (with grounding rods and lightning arrestor ect) We're rotating this fence through the pastures with ease until we can get the permanent fencing done. Its easy and allows multiple configurations even though our pasture is only gently sloped toward the forest, it gives peace of mind that the coyotes and other hungry wildlife stay where they belong. Fencing for us, is a huge expense and we're going over our plans and making changes every time we sit down to get serious about getting started. We have a 330' roll of 4x4 woven wire 48" tall still waiting for us to decide where to get started. (It was less expensive to buy the bigger roll.)

Another project on the drawing board is extending power and water out to the carport duck house and to my barn. I have a hydrant at the greenhouse and an outdoor supply at the house so I have hoses strung and carry water when its below freezing. BLECH Our neighbor will dig the channels to bury the wire and pipes so all I need to do is buy the supplies. There is just so much to do all the time. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this life. I feel so blessed with my farm, neighbors, and animals.

kccjer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hmmmm might be time to dig that bad boy out...:hide
LOL You coming to help???? We have been talking about digging it out. Might get around to doing that sometime in the next....oh....say 10 years! when we are too old to enjoy it! LOL

kccjer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Ponker We have some of the same projects going. We bought a trencher that hooks onto the tractor and is run by PTO so we can trench some lines in. I want a hydrant at the chicken house, at the corral, at the garden, etc. The fun part is going to be figuring out exactly where all the existing lines actually are! We dug out and replaced a hydrant that should have had a T going to the barn....and it did not. NO clue where the line that runs to the barn is....likely in the middle of a very hard driveway. Sigh... We are needing to run some electric lines too. The baalan could use electricity. The chicken house got electricity run the same time we dug out hydrants. We need some yard lights where we can actually SEE what we are doing in the dark. Etc. It's a never ending project to get things like you want them

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ponker We have some of the same projects going. We bought a trencher that hooks onto the tractor and is run by PTO so we can trench some lines in. I want a hydrant at the chicken house, at the corral, at the garden, etc. The fun part is going to be figuring out exactly where all the existing lines actually are! We dug out and replaced a hydrant that should have had a T going to the barn....and it did not. NO clue where the line that runs to the barn is....likely in the middle of a very hard driveway. Sigh... We are needing to run some electric lines too. The baalan could use electricity. The chicken house got electricity run the same time we dug out hydrants. We need some yard lights where we can actually SEE what we are doing in the dark. Etc. It's a never ending project to get things like you want them
For lights in remote areas or areas you have to wait to get 110 to, you might consider stand alone led solar lighting. I have several, including a set down at my pond--another double set at my working pens. They are not cheap, but provide adequate lighting for 2-3 hours continuous.

A bad picture..Solar panel is on right top of the post and light on the left side. May not look like much, but it will illuminate the whole pond.
DSC00013%20640x480_zpsk5h5erv5.jpg

Not exactly like the ones I have, but close to it. (spec sheet on that page says it is 120v--it is not--it's 12 voltDC) The ones I have also have a switch to change from motion detect to 'on' as long as the battery allows it to stay on.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_111185-337-MSLED1801UT_1z10fip__?productId=3743705&pl=1

Latest posts