How much should i be feeding my 2yr Holstein

creative1

Just born
Reaction score
I'm new to dairy cows, I have 1 Holstein heifer, with very poor forage in florida. I went to long without wormer, then used ivomec pour on, now i need to get her back up to weight. My local feed store seems to be geared toward horses and they all say something different. I have been giving her Nutrena cattle grower 12%- 1gal twice a day with coastal roll free choice- recommended by the feed store. I have read alot about dairy cows lately and it seems it is not enough feed for her.
her spine is showing now, so i hope i can get some real help from someone that knows about dairy cows.

Thanks in advance.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
She could easily go through 50 lb (dry weight) of good quality feed per day just to maintain what she has. You really want 16% protein.

Can you get good quality alfalfa hay down there?

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How old is she? Are you currently milking her? What does she weigh? Did you do a fecal sample before worming? You say her spine is showing. Are her ribs also showing? I'd be more concerned about ribs showing than her spine showing. How does she act? Does she stand around with her ears drooping? Does she occasionally run, jump, and kick up her heels?

These are all things that need to be taken into consideration when deciding whether she's eating enough. As to the spine showing, I wouldn't be too concerned about that, unless it's extremely prominent and standing up like a knife edge. You usually can see the spine on dairy cows a little bit. You must remember that dairy cows in good condition are far different than beef cows in good condition. Good luck!

creative1

Just born
Reaction score
she is 2. not milking her. if im reading the tape correctly she weighs 675or61 inches. no fecal sample.the spine is not sharp. i can see 2 front ribs a little. no dropped ears she does jump and kick in the evening when i feed her sometimes but usually i have the feed bucket. she seems to move around fine, she follows me everywhere i go.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
675 lbs at 2 years of age is extremely small. An average Holstein at that age should weigh at least 1200 - 1400 lbs. Has she been sick?

calfraiserinFL

Just born
Reaction score
creative i am also new to dairy cows and am in fl as well in the ocala area my email is brandon3laina@aol.com i would love to hear from you. I have raised many jersey bull calves in the past few yrs from the dairy but i just recently bought a real gentle holstein heifer the guy said she is around 3 or 4 never been bred and is probably 1400lbs