How much to feed horses, mini's, miniature donkeys

StacyV

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok everyone I need some help.......This will be my first winter with all of my animals.

I have 2 quarter horses (one as you know is really underweight)
2 miniature donkeys
1 miniature horse

I need a run down of how much hay, grain etc they need on a daily basis. I have read and read and find so much conflicting information.

Thanks for all of your help.

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am NOT a donkey owner, but I understand that they need a very low protrein diet, else they founder. I guess that I would stick with straight grass hay, like brohme, or timothy mix. I would supplement with Purina Equine Senior (the latest blend) for my underweight horse. (I have A LOT of experience feeding an underweight horse. My Arab, RIP, June 2009 was ALWAYS slim but I couldn't overfeed grain, because he might have foundered on me.)
I don't know your setup, but you could pull this guy out to feed him once a day. I used to tie up and grain more horses a couple of hours before I taught lessons on them. I used the time to groom, pick out feet and tack up--all of which they learned to stand still for while they ate, so it's a good training time, too.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would stick to grass hay for all. You might want to supplement your underweight horse with some alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay in his stall (is he stalled?). Lots of free choice grass hay, animals like Donkey's and Ponies don't generally need graining, leave them off grain but if you feel they are looking a little on the thin side, give them a bit of oats with maybe some molasses on it, or you can go with a complete feed but not too much of it, I would use Purina HFHF.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My mini horse is out in the pasture all day with free choice of hay. He goes in his stall at night and gets maybe a handful of oats just to get him in the barn, no hay in his stall at night. Don't want him getting too fat!

Latest posts