how much to feed my nursing mini does and new kids

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
heres the deal Gracie had quads and is nursing all three really good, she sometimes lets baby gretchen nurse, she kinda hates her:( so it's only for a second, so I tried to bottle feed and it never worked so I have trained my other doe (that had a single buckling)
to get on the milking stand when she eats her grain. then I lock her in place and Gretchen comes a runnin and screamin because thats how she gets fed!!:) Choulas great about it well until the foods gone then gretchen better hit the road or Choula will knock her off the stand...
Question - how much grain should I feed the moms and how do you introduce grain to babys? i have 2 boys and 3 girls(babies)
They also have free choice hay , alfalfa, and are spoiled and want out to go in the yard.
Also they look so ragged is this like spring time shedding,plus kidding??? they just look terriable ,hip bones stickin out and maybe I was use to them being pleasantly plump.

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm sure someone else with more experience will be more helpful but this is what I do. Mine are shedding out now too and Nestle, who just kidded a couple weeks ago, was starting to look a little thin in the hips too. I base how much I feed them on their condition since it's hard to find this info on minis. I use a plastic cup that's about 8 oz. She was getting 2 scoops when I milk her 2x per day, they also get really good 3rd cutting alfalfa, a scoop of black oil sunflower seeds, occasional treats like chopped up apples and carrots, and browsing in the yard. Since she was looking thin I upped her grain to 3 scoops per milking and she's looking much better. A good brushing every day helps loosen up that undercoat.

Edit: A while back someone posted this link that showed the scale for judging condition.
http://www2.luresext.edu/goats/research/bcshowto.html