How much to feed my piggies?

northriverranch

Just born
Reaction score
I'm need some help with information on the amount of feed to give to my pot bellied pigs. Let me give you some back ground first. I got 2 male piggies about 4 weeks ago from my husbands friend who purchased them and their mother at a stock sale. He was planning on eating them! uggghhh. So we saved the two piglets from being on his dinner plate. When we got them they were wild, apparently never handles by humans. We got no background info such as age. I have them in the house, in a bathroom with a baby gate at the door. They were paper trained in about 2 days! I go in frequently throughout the day to spend time with them. I sit on the floor and leave them come to me, occasionally giving them a treat, cheerio or fruit. I had them both neutered 2 weeks ago. Wilbur is coming around leaving me pet his, brush him, rub his belly, etc. Odie is much slower to come around, he just started to eat out of my hand, he'll touch my hand with his nose, but as soon as I try to touch him he runs and squeals. I figured they were about 12-14 weeks old when I got them and allowed them to eat freely. Their bellies seemed to grow before my eyes! So I stopped that and give them each 1/2 cup pot belly pig feed twice daily. I think they are older than I thought. I'm thinking maybe 6 months old. I am afraid I am not feeding them enough, but do not want to overfeed. I have read that you must closely measure their feed so they don't become obese. But I don't want to underfeed and starve them either. When I feed them they act like the are starving! Is this just because they a pigs or are they actually that hungry? How do I know if I am feeding the correct amount? I am using high quality feed specialized for pot bellied pigs purchased from tractor supply. As treats I give less than 1 cup of cheerios or a few small chunks of fruit hand fed. Does anyone know how to estimate their age? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

pubwvj

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
As much as they'll eat. If they're gaining too much fat then cut the calories. If their not gaining enough muscle then boost the protein and check their worm levels. If they're too lean then boost the calories. Observe their back roundness, spine, ham and jowl.