how much to feed...weaning the bottle lamb

abooth

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am getting ready to wean my bottle lamb and I have a few questions. She has been getting her bottle just once a day and has free choice orchard grass hay. Twice a day I have been offering pelleted lamb feed. She is also out in the yard a few hours a day eating grass pretty well. She eats her pellets right up when I give them to her. I was wondering how much of the pellets should she be getting compared to how much hay. Should she just always have pellets? And also is alfalfa pellets a good feed choice since I don't have alfalfa hay? Does she really need the pellets? Help!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
It all depends really. :lol: I know that's not helpful. Some people don't feed grain, some do. I like to feed some grain. You can always start out with a cup or two per feeding and up it if you think she needs to gain weight. Alfalfa pellets act more like a grain or concentrate feed, and less like a forage (like hay) because of their pelleted form (quickly digestible, doesn't offer rumen buffering, etc). I wouldn't offer them free choice. She should definitely get more forage than concentrate.

Latest posts