How much?

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the best place to put this thread but oh well. We are going on a camping trip with a few of our friends from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon, I was wondering how much y'all pay someone to take care of your animals. We have one feeder pig, 2 pet goats (we do not milk them), 2 turkeys in their own pen, 2 pens = 30 chickens, 2 outdoor dogs, 1 indoor dog, and 3 outdoor cats. They get feed twice a day and given water when needed. I am not going to pay them hourly just for the whole day. Thanks!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Interesting question, ...my neighbor and I just do it for each other when needed...a friend, probably a nice gift that you know they would like,..... a stranger, ummm I probably would pay $15 per day if they traveled less than ten miles....I suppose it would also depend on your local economy, :idunno

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to "farm sit".... I would go in the morning, let the chickens out, feed and water whatever, check everyone. Go back late in the day and lock up etc. It was about 5-6 miles from me. I got $10.00 a trip so $20.00 a day; took about an hour each time. This was 10 years ago. It is a pain to break up your day to make 2 trips for no more than an hour or so at a time. And I had to time it to be there before dark, and stay til the chickens were in to close up, or there would be chicken buffet for the raccoons and foxes.
I used to do some fill in milking for one farmer.... got $50 a trip..... milking 20 head, and feeding the couple of baby calves..... 2+ hours at a time, and that was 30 miles away....
How long does it take you to do chores? Double the time for someone "new" that it is not a "second nature" routine to do......What do you figure an hourly wage is worth? How much do your animals mean to you? What would it cost to just board your dogs/cats at a kennel????? How far do they have to travel to come do it????? What would you want to get paid to do it for someone else ??????

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
These are good questions. I once had a person from Rover.com come to give me an estimate. I showed her everything, she went home and worked out an estimate. Emailed it to me, and it was ridiculous. She had made an amount for each animal per visit, and with 3 visits per day (because of indoor dogs), it came to about $400 per DAY! She said she had to make up for taking the week off from her regular full time job. Hello?! That’s not how you pet/farm sit! Needless to say, I didn’t hire her, and I doubt anyone else would have either.

Anyway, in the past, I have paid anywhere from $16/visit to $30/visit, depending on how hard I felt the job was at the time. It’s always at least two visits per day because the chickens need to be let out in morning and locked up at night. And if the house dogs aren’t going to the kennel, then they need one or two more potty breaks.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you figure hourly I'm not driving anywhere for 1 hr. I've looked at Rover one time while it was $30 or so for each visit. I also looked at kenneling them at a vet and it was over $100 a night. I wouldn't pay that although I did give someone $100 for a week of watching my dog while I flew home. I'd go $15-20 a visit and you'd probably need a friend who lives close.
Also at the time the vet wouldn't keep them without a copy of the shot record including kennel cough. They also said it was over a month before they could get him in then 4 wk wait for a booster shot for the kennel cough then another 2 wks before they would keep him. I got him at 9 mths old and I didn't have his record available and I like to do all the shots at home anyway.
Hope this helps and doesn't break your budget.