How often and short to mow a pasture.

rbruno

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I just finished my first mowing of my pasture and want to get opinions on length of grass. My pastures are use for grazing of my couple horses. The pasture are not manicured, but are in pretty good shape. I have a mix of grasses in the field. I have spread a pasture mix at times to help reseed. I do have more weed then I like and in spots a bunch of crab grass. I have read different things about mowing and helping with the health of the pastures. Besides fertilizer, lime, rotating animals, has anyone noticed a benefit to mowing frequently or less frequently or not mowing the grass very short to leaving it long to the health of the pastures? Does the way you mow have an effect on the grass getting thicker and growing faster? Just curious what people thought. If it makes a difference, I am MD and have decent soil and decent amount of average rain fall. Just interested in peoples thoughts on the effect of mowing on pasture health.
Rob

WyoLiving

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have been mowing our pasture areas once a year, leaving about 4" tall (the max height of our mower). We don't have animals on them at the moment and we are just trying to maintain what we have and keep out the woody vegetation. I did notice that it has helped the grasses compete with the weeds somewhat, meaning it looks like more grass growth than before we started mowing.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mow often, but never shorter than 4-6 in. I'd let it rest for 30-45 days between mowing and let the sward get 10-12 in. tall before mowing it again, so the rest time may vary. You'll want to see tip recovery on the grass before cutting it again.

Personally I'd graze it instead of mowing it. Using intensive rotational grazing with some hair sheep, followed by the horses, so that you can get your pasture fertilized as it's being "mowed".

Greg Judy on YT....he will teach you the way to good pasture!

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I just finished my first mowing of my pasture and want to get opinions on length of grass. My pastures are use for grazing of my couple horses. The pasture are not manicured, but are in pretty good shape. I have a mix of grasses in the field. I have spread a pasture mix at times to help reseed. I do have more weed then I like and in spots a bunch of crab grass. I have read different things about mowing and helping with the health of the pastures. Besides fertilizer, lime, rotating animals, has anyone noticed a benefit to mowing frequently or less frequently or not mowing the grass very short to leaving it long to the health of the pastures? Does the way you mow have an effect on the grass getting thicker and growing faster? Just curious what people thought. If it makes a difference, I am MD and have decent soil and decent amount of average rain fall. Just interested in peoples thoughts on the effect of mowing on pasture health.
Rob
When you have pasture to the grasses and plants you want to grow there, then you can only mow for hay-making twice a year. One thing to remember about pasture is that when it's mowed down more often it can produce better grass.

rbruno

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. I am going to work to not let anything including weeds go to seed. Probably mow a little more often
Rob