1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hay Baler - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

How often to use Pour on Wormer

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Cattle' started by omg_sob, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Jun 19, 2017
    omg_sob

omg_sob Ridin' The Range

Hi guys,
    I had my vet use Cydectin on my 4 Mini heifers on 11/24/16. I've been pasturing them so i'm wondering when it's time to do it again? Also, I have an almost 3 month calf, when should I worm him? Here's a pic of him. His name is Bogo...as in Buy one Get one...
    Thanks.

Sean

Attached Files:

2. Jun 20, 2017
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

Depends what the prevalent parasites are in your area. Different areas have different internal parasite problems and they need to be addressed on a local level at the required time span. If you're unsure, call your vet.
    This should give you an idea how long Cydectin works for different parasites:
    https://www.drugs.com/vet/cydectin-pour-on.html

If you are seeing heavy fly infestations, you need to use the pour on in conjunction with other parasite control protocols, such as cattle rubs, dust bags, ear tags or IGR mineral supplements-either in block or tub form. IGR should have been started just before fly season in your area.
    My cattle have learned that passing under the rubs several times/day will get rid of the flies, and they'll do it on their own.
    (pour-on solely as a dewormer is my least desirable choice--very little of it actually gets where it needs to be according to TAMU research results)