How often...

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So how often do you have to handle your rabbits to keep them somewhat friendly to humans? (Or at least somewhat close to that)

And is that amount of time needed per day etc, the same as the amount of time needed to establish that in the first place? Or do you need more time invested to set that up initially?

Fun stuff...

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They're bred for good temperament, that is probably what has the most to do with them being friendly. A calm friendly buck is the best thing for getting a herd of friendly rabbits. Ours started with Grinlow's Dozer, the most mellow buck ever. His son, Hillside Phineas Phogge, is continuing the trend. Right now there's a litter of eleven and one little five week old buck, Vladamir, comes up to the front to get ear scritches, tasty bribes, pets, whatever he can get. He's being kept for a herd buck even though I don't really need a tort buck.

There's a Russian fox farm which bred foxes by temperament. I think their only criteria was ow friendly they were to humans and the result was some really friendly foxes, although they also had some interesting color changes in the coat. I think they found changes in the adrenal glands as well? It's been awhile since I read the article.

The bunnies here don't get daily handling since there's usually twenty to thirty of them at any particular time, but they do get extensive grooming every third month. Also lots of tasty bribery and those that come up to get the ti leaves also get ear scritches. Not held or extensive petting - well, some of them get hugs, but not all of them. Eventually, the equate people with tasty things. So start with good genetic temperaments, then keep the friendly training going with bribery.