How Old is Too Old?

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I found out one of the Jacob ewes I got recently was born in 1999. Wow! She's pretty old. How old is too old to breed a ewe? She seems to be in good condition. Will there be pregnancy problems if I try and breed her? Is there such a thing as sheep menopause? :lol: ...and maybe she won't even come into heat anymore?

I'm clueless about older sheep. :hu

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow...that's quite an age and I have no idea how old is too old! Our oldest ewe is turning 5 or 6 next month...too lazy to get out records, and I was worried about when it was too old for her.

There was a thread a little while ago about a wool breed that was 10 years old with quads and I thought that was pretty amazing. From sheep sites, I've read that fertility can begin to decrease around 6 years old, but hoping that is not a hard fast thing...will be watching your thread for input!

Hmmm...sheep menopause? Can you imagine hot flashes with a wool sheep? :lol:

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
omg Bon that's funny! Being one who experiences hot flashes from time to time, I can't imagine not being able to take that wool coat off! :lol:

Apparently, it's the one we sheared already who is supposed to be the old one (the one in the vest). I don't think the lady who sent me her registration papers was right. This sheep does not look that old!

5910_img_9654.jpg

Shelly May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Longface....Magnificent old girl, Bridgemoof see if you can find this post, read the story its hart harming.

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I read that post,, Shelly May a while back and it made me cry! I can't remember how old she was, though?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
My oldest is 8, now 9 and she had triplets.
I read that as long as the ewe doesn't have delivery issues, has enough milk and doesn't loose body condition, then age doesn't matter.

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I had a 12 yr. old Scottish Blackface ewe who still had pretty good teeth and was in great condition produce a beautiful, healthy ewe lamb. The breeder who helped me get started had ewes lambing older than that...closer to 15 yrs.. It depends on their condition and health. I love the older (seasoned) moms.....they know the ropes.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
There is a way to check sheep age by teeth. Sheepgirl (I think) has posted before how to tell sheep age by teeth. If I find where she posted about it I'll post the link.

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think your ewe will be fine, an should get bred right along with the rest. They would probably have to be VERY old to not get bred! In my experience, ya get rid of the older girls because their lambs production starts dropping (instead of 2-3 lambs ya get 1, or the lambs are smaller), or they have an issue with being thin because of teeth( broken mouth or abcessess). It is easy to keep older girls without a problem if you have the time to make sure they are getting good feed! If you end up with a break out in your herd (pinkeye, orf, or any other disease) the older girls seem to get the worse of it and sometimes need special attention. They do make awesome mothers and because of their experince with people, they are USUALLY easy to handle!
I have a 13 year old Tunis ewe right now, she has triplets every year and raises them herself! She can't eat with the ewe herd or she looses too much weigh because of her teeth, so she lives with the ewe lambs.
Amazingly, my neighbor has a 21 yr old Suffolk cross that just had her first single lamb last spring!!!!! I believe she gets alot of special feed and attention!

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Since sheep in good condition I would say go for it. I would say keep a close eye on her during lambing but I get the feeling you'll be watching every one awfully close.