how old is too old

shanew1

Just born
Reaction score
So I have some durok-burks and being new to this I bought story's guide to raising pigs but I cant find the answer, also have asked around to different people I know but get different opinions, how old can fruits and vegetables be for them to eat,my local farm stand asked if I wanted the throw away food for them, so I said sure, well I got a whole pallet full of food, some looks really good, but its a lot and I only have two for now so I was wondering how long I can keep feeding them this without making them sick?

and do I withhold one feeding of grain to get them to eat more?

Thanks

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Welcome to Backyard Herds, I see you made it here from FB ok :D

I wouldn't feed moldy fruit so I don't know how long older fruit will last you, that my opinion. I don't know about withholding grain as my pig is on pasture, she still hoovers up any fruits / veggies that we give to her.

shanew1

Just born
Reaction score
Yes, thank you.

Yeah I figured not a lot of mold, but is a little mold ok? I hate to see all that free food go to waste? my chickens love it but it would be nice to have the pigs eat it so I can save on grain.

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:welcome

Well my personal note on fruit is if it isn't molded and still smells like fruit or alcohol it is fine. On veggies I won't feed molded but squishy is old, again I go by smell.

When I have more than a 5 gallon bucket of vegetables and fruit I withhold or reduce grain. That is only if I have to feed it all at once. I would try to break that into smaller batches by freezing half. ...and here comes the but. .. but, I only get that much once in a blue moon. Maybe someone that feeds produce more often will pipe up.

Dino

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I get fruit & veggies too... I let my pigs decide, they aren't quite as stupid as we are. ;)

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I. Know the answer buy 2more pigs there proplem solved can never have to maney pigs around