How soon can you wether a buckling?

Pipit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Our 2 mini Saanens just turned a month old. Tthe breeder said she will fix Nick at 8 or 9 weeks. Is it advisable to do it sooner? He's been going after his sister, Molly, like a jack rabbit in heat! He's also been sniffing her butt and then turning his upper lip inside out. what's up with that?

Yes, these are my first goats, so it the questions seem stupid...

Scout

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You can fix them the day there born, but it aint a pretty thing (not that it gets any prettier when they get older.) I dont see no harm in waitin until 8 weeks though.

To my knowledge, they curl there lips when sniffin for pheremones (sp) but I aint 100% sure on that.

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
yeah the lip curling is a buck thing, occasionally girls will do it also

they are checking to see if the female is in heat

I'd be getting him fixed now

You can do it as early as a couple hrs after they are born, but I prefer to wait till bout 8 wks to allow the urethra to develop, lowers the risk of UC

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The longer you can wait, the better. That's because the longer the urethra is allowed to grow/develop the better it is for the goat giving it less chance to develop UC in the future. UC is most often caused by feeding issues - you'll want to research that to keep your boy healthiest.

Having said all that... most people wether their boys between 8 to 12 weeks old. Some breeders refuse to do it even that early and some people do it sooner. I have made the decision to not wether mine until they are at least 8 weeks old. Bucklings can breed as young as 8 weeks old so if he isn't wethered by then you will want to separate him from any girl goats until he is. If you can find a goat vet to talk to about it I'd suggest you get his/her opinion.

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am an advocate of 12 weeks. Can you imagine dying from kidney stones? Why take chances. Thats just me though, my bander fits 12 weeks and better. You want to stay less than 16 weeks though.

Chris

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I agree with Chirpy ...the longer you can wait the better it is for them as they have less problems as they age. I wait till you can bairly fit them in the bander. I do separate them from the doelings at 8 weeks and band when I finally get the time. If you have a pen you can keep him away from the does I would wait for a while to get it done.