How soon to milk after calf born?

NATIVO

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi Guys...
Our Jersey had her calf today!! How soon do I milk her after the birth and how long until the milk is free from colostrum and connsumable?

I know I've seen this question before but can't remember the answer... The last time we let the calf take all the milk because she our cow got mastitis.... So this time I want to do everything right!!

Thank You

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Congratulations! We love pics! ;)

If your going to milk her start right off. Twice a day 7, days a week! Unless you're going to let the calf nurse one milking worth. I wouldn't use the milk for 3 to 4 days. If she was dry treated, (a treatment used a dry off time) then 4 to 5 days.

Mastitis is a fact of lactating cows. Keep some treatment on hand. I would suggest Today.

NATIVO

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Great!! We are going to be milking her so we will get started this eve. ( wont drink it until colostrum is gone though)
I'll be sure to leave some for the calf and I have local farmers wanting to buy the colostrum!...

If we are milking twice a day how many hours do we keep the calf off her?

Also... If we want to sell the milk and need lots of it... Should we just bottle feed the calf?

I need you pro's to guide me...

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
as said it takes 3 or 4 days for the milk to turn white.if your going to use all the milk then id put the calf on powdered milk replacer right off.i do not know the laws govering raw milk sales.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
NATIVO said:
Great!! We are going to be milking her so we will get started this eve. ( wont drink it until colostrum is gone though)
I'll be sure to leave some for the calf and I have local farmers wanting to buy the colostrum!...

If we are milking twice a day how many hours do we keep the calf off her?
If you're going to milk her twice a day, hand feed the calf. Make sure it gets the colustrum and then I would put it on milk replacer and a pail ;) A fifty pound bag should take one calf through--or at least that is what the guidelines are. We raise to many at onetime for me to say.

Also... If we want to sell the milk and need lots of it... Should we just bottle feed the calf?
In many states it is illegal to sell raw milk except to a plant. Check with your state. One way to get around it is to sell shares in the cow. Or to have donations toward the cows up keep.

I need you pro's to guide me...

NATIVO

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. We are signed up to do a share program and did a little of that before we let her dry off to have the calf. (we bought her bred)

This is our first go round with farming, so we're trying to do everything right.. Although I don't think we've done a single thing right yet..LOL.. This is live and learn for us... We failed at disbudding our baby goats, we wen't through mastitis with the other cow and have gone broke on feed bills... But someday it's gonna pay off for us :D maybe.

This is what happens when corporate americans lose jobs and try to farm..LOL... gotta love it

I love this board, it has been lot's of help to us

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm glad all the work we've put into info is helping!

The main things with mistakes is that you learn from them and then use that knowledge to do better in the future. :)