How to buy a good goat??

WildersMilkMaid

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I want to buy a really nice milk doe.

How can I convince a breeder to sell me one of their good ones, not just the leftovers? :)

We have a small homestead where we grow about 90% of our food (if we were on the ocean and I could catch my own seafood, it would be like 98% hehe!). I cook 100% from scratch, all traditional cooking methods which are quite time-consuming. Gardening and taking care of the meat and dairy animals takes up most of the rest of my time. My husband works full time and spends his after-hours working his parents’ farm. We have a toddler and are planning to try for a second, then later third, maybe fourth and fifth?? Also wanting to homeschool. Basically I have a tight schedule and don’t see myself having the time to invest in breeding, training, Milk testing etc. BUT I would love to purchase a very nice doe.

Unfortunately the breeders I have talked to want to keep all their best girls. I get it. They put a lot of work into their herd and are planning on the money and potentially even better doelings from their best girls.

Does anyone who breeds dairy goats have a suggestion? Is there a certain price I should offer?

Ideal goat would be a Nigerian Dwarf with bigger teats and very high butterfat and production. Basically, someone’s best goat lol!! How much is this going to cost me and how do I get someone to sell her to me? :)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is a huge difference in a young doeling and a trained milker. So, you need to consider what you want, when. There are farms that downsize &/or raise up and train for the purpose of resale. You seem to have set your sites on NDs....nice animals...but, yes you need to have ones from good dairy for the volume.

That brings next question. What are your plans for the milk? This can play a part in what breed you select. @OneFineAcre has had some amazxing NDs....maybe PM them to see if they have any for sale. Believe they are on FB, also (I'm not).

Mine are Saanen &/or SaanenXNubian. I have had mini nubs in past, so the ND was there genetically. Still have a couple daughters. After milking, my personal preference is for the bigger gals. Just easier for me to milk and good volume, excellent taste. However, I would consider adding a full ND for just the cream value in the milk....no time soon but, when retired. By the way, I get good cream from my girls and I do use a separater. Without one of those, you lose a lot of that volume as goat milk is naturally homogenized so only a small portion rises.

care of the meat and dairy animals takes up most of the rest of my time.
What dairy animals do you keep now? Cow, sheep? Sheep have some excellent milk -- esp for cheese. Cows? I'd love one just for the Cream!!! I love fresh cow butter. LOL You can see I need limits!!

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can not convince someone to sell what they do not want to. They have probably put much money, effort, and years of breeding into them. They will not give them to you, for any price, unless they want to.

You CAN wait for one to come up for sale that you like, and buy a very nice buck in the spring or maybe this fall from a doe and buck you are crazy about and make your own, just like they did.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alternately, you can get a doeling from a doe you admire in the spring to go with that buck. That is the way goats work. Unless you find a breeder selling out (you want to know WHY they are selling out too, and not just tiny teats, bad production, want bigger goats) you will not get their hard earned cream of the crop. You've got to make your own. I think Anne Peterson from Rosasharn farm refers to it as "herd building" on her website, if my memory serves. Smart woman. Nice place to visit.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You asked how much you should offer?

I'm going to turn that question around on you and ask what you think one would be worth?

You want a doe in milk. Mature but not over the hill. Let's say she's on her 3rd freshening and the breeder has 2 past lactations of milk test results. Certified milk test records. She milked 1100 lbs on her 2nd Freshening with high butterfat. And for good measure she appraised 87 VVVV as a FF and 89 VEVE on her 2nd freshening appraisal. She's on her 3rd freshening so she is probably going to be at her peak for the next 2 or 3 years. Large teats, milks like a dream.

How much do you think that goat is worth?

Keeping in mind that a farm that has that animal and is doing milk testing and appraisal is probably selling a kids for a minimum of $300 each. But, a kid out of the doe above is probably more than that. So, how much is she worth?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
@WildersMilkMaid
I don't have the hypothetical goat above for sale.
However, I do have a doe in milk for sale. I want to sell her as a package deal with her 2 doe kids at her side.
The doe is One Fine Acre Eclipse (D001815969) Her appraisal and milk records can be found on the ADGA Genetics website.
The sire of the two kids is One Fine Acre Big Brown (D00163552)
I wouldn't say she is one of our best ones. But, she is by no means a leftover.

PM me if you are interested.

Latest posts