How to catch a clever sheep without a dog?

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
What breed is this ewe? The primitive breeds can be such a pain because they are not easily bribed. We don't like to keep any animal that doesn't allow us to catch them. Our Shetlands much harder to round up since they are smart and don't stick with the group, but we have worked with them enough to be able to get them where they need to be. We don't have a herding dog anymore (just a BC that thinks she can herd - she's only helpful if you walk behind the sheep with her) so getting the sheep moved is on the humans. Getting them trained to a grain bucket is a must.

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Any tips on to train her to a grain bucket? Or should we just start feeding them in the coop run so they will go in automatically?

hardcore

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
hello there, i am having the same problem with some of mine, well all of them really. i don't live on the property and they figured it out, so they wait me out on bribes. and as long as they got a eye ball on me they stay away. ive did the close the gate behind them....they figured that out too.
i been looking at dart tranquilizer guns, cheapest is 600 and i am not sure if i can buy the tranquilizer without a vet. i need to do hoof trimming bad

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I say get a dog! :p All my sheep give up with a sigh when they know I'm coming with the dog. But they know if they just get it over with all will be back to normal. I do love a clever sheep, but only the ones that I'm a bit more clever than!
Cattle panel with a few people working her towards an enclosed area would be my second try. Although watch your knees. They seem to know it's our weak spot!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our oldest ewe Dolly, who is also herd queen is like this. But, she can't resist treats...feeding treats in a catch pen where they all go in...and once she is in, someone else to close the gate...and one by one get them all out except her. And you'll need that catch pen to be very high. Good luck!

Latest posts