How to Co-Parent?

RathdrumGal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was just reading a thread where a poster mentioned co-parenting baby goats -- meaning having the babies both nurse from mama AND take a bottle. Any tips on how to do this?

The first year I bred my goats, I had two first fresheners who rejected their babies. I was able to get the two hungry babies to first suck on my finger and then gradually take a bottle. I successfully raised them as bottle babies. But since then, all the mamas have accepted their babies. We have been successful in selling our babies at 4 months of age, but they are not as friendly as the bottle babies. I have now retired and have the time to feed several times a day. I would love to be able to market my friendly co-parented babies, yet still have the babies well socialized to the other goats, as this would help my babies go to good pet homes. I do not want to (nor have the facilities) to pull the babies from the mamas.

Any advice on how this is done. I raise NDGs and I usually present at birth to dry off and warm the babies. I stay with the babies until they are dry, warm and latching on to mama for colostrum. The babies usually fight to get away, they would rather be with mama than this weird human.

Any advice on how to get the babies to accept a bottle without starving the babies?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will leave the kids with the dams for about 3-5 days and then pull them. I put them in a kidding stall with mom in the adjoining stall and I just wait. It will take 6-12 hours depending on how long it has been since the kid last nursed. I keep them apart until the kid has taken 2-3 bottles from me. Then I will put them back with the dam for about 12 hours and pull the kids again until they take another bottle from me. I do this back and forth pulling the kids whenever I want to milk, so usually at night. In other words, pull the kids at night and bottle feed in the morning. Milk the mom and then put the family back together again for the day. If for some reason I don't have time to milk I just leave them together.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty much with Babsag on this They will reluctantly take a bottle if hungry. The nipple & general "comfort of mom" gives them cause for concern but, I always use the dams milk & that helps. Some I do not bottle, just intense imprinting to handle.

For me, the actual imprint handling at birth has proven to be my best results with a friendly kid (I did this with all my mini horses). So at birth, or as soon as I find them, I handle the kids. Gently hold them to you, if they struggle, snuggle them to you and wrap with your arms....think thunder shirt hug. They will calm. Then slowly rub them all over while talking to them -- head, between ears, legs, feet, tummy, between legs...all over. At first, do this several times a day. Then a couple -- AM & PM. Stalling for a few days helps with this/access & their bonding with their mom.

They learn to trust, they are not hurt, it is just CRITICAL for later handling, vetting, etc. Imprinting is a gentle training of trust. Soon, they come to you for attention. Mine make easier milkers this way...lead training, hoof trimming, etc. They are taught to stand tied, also.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been replacing extremely hard to handle does with ones I can at least catch. Life it too short to chase goats. I also find that the friendlier the dam is the easier it is to tame the kids...usually.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I totally agree with Babs on this part. We previously raised Boers so Nigies are new and I can't chime in on the shared parenting but it does seem like tame begets tame, most of the time.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I find that forcing the bottle issue the first day or 2 makes a difference later on. If they took the bottle a few times right away, then later on, if they are hungry and you are offering, they will take the bottle too. I prefer trips, quads and more to be on bottles, I can't stand the fighting over teats and someone not getting their fair share. Offering bottles makes it easy once they realize that they can eat as much as they want from the bottle while I am there. I love how tame they stay when they see me as a source of milk. They live with mom and siblings, learn to be goats, but know to get more food from me if they are still hungry, and everyone grows well.

Latest posts