how to control bot eggs??? please help

zachbelle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i foumd a lump on my new zealand white rabbit and at.closer inspection it looled lile a puncture woumd with something moving in it....long story short it was a bot larvae...i safely removed it without crushingit checked her over to find two.more bothalso removed and wounds treated...i can find any onfo tho on how to.get rid of any eggs that may still be on her..also wjat would be a safe.wormer incase she.jas ingested any eggs? shes 8 months and about 8.5 pounds

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are tiny yellow flecks. If ingested, she'll have bots in her gut.
Keeping the flies away in the first place is easier than trying to get the eggs off, since finding them is tricky.
They kind of look like bees. Can you put up screening on all windows and doors? If not, those giant fly sticky tapes may catch a few.
Usually, I've only gotten them on rabbits living free on the ground. My caged ones never got them.

zachbelle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
shes in a cagr but its on the ground apparently a bad idea so that has already been rectified....what can i give her for a wormer that would be safe and effective? i read vinegar willhelp w the eggs anyone ever heard of this?

doxiemoxie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sevin dust works really well repelling flies if you keep it up regularly (weekly) You can also apply it in the bedding and around the ground although area treatment won't work very well on bot flies (I hate them!) sevin dust is great because you can use it on all species, even use it on newborns, and it isn't toxic, so there's little risk of any side effects. of course you should always watch in case the rare animal does react. Sevin dust won't treat any larvae or eggs though. Ivermectin can kill them but I don't know what the dose it for rabbits.

zachbelle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
this may sound extreme but from what i am readong the eggs attach to the hair...maybe shave her?

zachbelle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
im at a loss ofwhat to do after seeing those nasty things burrowed into heri dont want to take any chances

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can see the eggs usually. We use dull razor blades to shave off the eggs. Can be a ton of them or just a couple eggs.

Ivermectin regular, not Plus. You can drop 3-6 droplets on the ears or back of neck. Tiny rabbit, 3 drops, larger rabbit 6 drops or so.

SevenDust IS TOXIC.
Most people use it because everyone else does and few have had ill effects.
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=19022001

images

zachbelle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thank you! i feel so guilty that i didnt notice this sooner but hnestly i had never heard of this! i heard my mom mention bots before pertaining to her horses but thats about it. thanks to all for the advice. i think what im finding are eggs but if so they are very very tiny? like little specs of dandruff?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, yellow specks of dust/dandruff. Heck, I thought the horse walked through flowers and had pollen on it's leg the first time I saw it. I also squash all the little fake bees I see. They hover more vertically, bumping into the animal repeatedly, but never stinging or landing, that's how they lay the eggs.