1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Guess the build... - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

How to fatten a chicken up?

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by kdogg331, May 15, 2017.

1. May 15, 2017
    kdogg331

kdogg331 Loving the herd life

So I have a couple chickens that are pretty small but one in particular is really small and kinda runty. Could just be genetics of course? All 3 of the Orps aren't very big. But anyway, I'd like to try to put some weight on her and fatten her up some if possible. What's the best way to do that?

I also have a cat I'm wondering the same about. She's not really skinny, weighed 9 pounds 11 ounces at the vet in February and she is a tiny cat, but I just feel like she could gain some weight, either fat or muscle. I don't want to give her a can that much cause our last cat his teeth rotted :(

2. Feb 20, 2018
    First Time Goat.Mum

First Time Goat.Mum Chillin' with the herd

Hi! I am new to this forum but I’ve been around chickens since I was a toddler. I am far from being an ‘expert’ but I have found that different feed brands work for different things. Some are more fattening, some are meant for eggs and some even to brighten feathers for showing chickens. What brand of feed do you currently use? :)

3. Feb 20, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

This is an old post and tyhe OP hasn' been here since mid 2017... just letting you know.

4. Feb 20, 2018
    First Time Goat.Mum

First Time Goat.Mum Chillin' with the herd

Whoops!! :( Still learning my way around, probably should learn to check the dates.

Latestarter and Baymule like this.
  5. Feb 20, 2018
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Chicken : feed it more.
    Cat : feed it more
    But for the cat some cats are smaller and a 9 lb cat might be fat/obese at 15 lbs