How to find a stud?

rellikmalinois

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have two kiko goats i am interested in breeding. How does one go about finding an appropriate stud?

bj taylor

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
hi; I too am trying to figure out how to find a stud. I have a 1 1/2 yr doe & 7 doelings. they're half boer & half texmaster. I want to find a texmaster buck, but don't really know how to go about it. I think I will be wanting to breed my doe around November. hope you get some good answers so I can learn from your post.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Networking.

Talk to people at the feed store, BYH forum, 4-H clubs, goat shows, fairs, livestock auctions, farmer's markets.

Find goat clubs in your area. Don't need to join, but a lot of them have breeder databases/lists for the state/area.

Do you want to buy a stud for yourself or just pay a stud fee?

For only 2 does, it would be easier to just pay a stud fee and arrange "dates" for your gals. I've lucked out that the 4-H leader has a fullblood Boer buck from good lines and he's retired, so he is usually available if I call and say, "Doe is in heat. Will you still be home in 45 min?" Most buck owners that breed to outside does will have a daily boarding fee, usually about $2/day if dry, more if she is lactating and they have to milk.

Also, know your does. What are their good points? Their faults? Find a buck that will correct their faults. What are your breeding goals? I'm breeding for height and dual-purpose. I sell both meat and milk, so I want babies I can add to my milking herd that will also produce a nice carcass just to give you an example. I also want good udder attachment. So I need to find a buck whose mom and sisters have good udders who is preferably tall.

Latest posts