How to find Cow with Calf

anthonyjames

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am trying to find a jersey milking cow with a calf. How would someone go about finding them?

Also, what is the cost like to purchase a cow with a calf?

Thanks

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You could call your local farms and ask them or check out the sales papers/craigs list. An auction might be a place to start, but you'd better be sure if you buy an animal that it's in good condition. A lot of the animals we see at auctions are in poor health.

The price differs from location to location...

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Local feed stores are great places to find them. Talk with the people who work there, they usually know who has cattle. Also, check their bulletin boards - put up your own ad saying what you are looking for.
You might try your local extension office and see if they know of anyone who has them.
Fair time is a great time to go to the fair barns and find what you are looking for and then find the owners of those cattle. You could also call your local 4H clubs and talk to the people in their cattle programs.

Good luck.

mommy_2_parks

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You can definitely check out craigslist...sometimes you can get a pretty decent deal on there. And also try your closest sale barn. We always give them a call because sometimes they will have what we're looking for consigned. But like glenolam said, be careful buying what goes through a sale ring! :) Good luck!

sandburs

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Where are you located? There have been multiple jerseys and milk cows listed around here lately. In Illinois. Prices ranging from $1200- $2000+.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ask around for local breeders, dairy operations. Many are very willing to sell an older cow to a family instead of sending her for meat. Those older cows can be fine in a farm home, but not in the dairy operation that may be more "commercial" and have to turn a profit.

Younger cattle with the higher bag, tighter muscling, are less likely to have a teat stepped on when crowding up to feed or laying down as older cows can. Udders droop more, teats get longer, as the cow ages and has more calves.

I would second checking on Craigslist, or put out a Want To Buy advertisement for a Jersey cow and get one that is DEHORNED. Much safer for you. Be a bit willing to pay a little more for "options" on a nice cow. These could include the dehorned issue, being halter broke and able to lead her, trained for hand milking. If someone had not worked with cow, YOU would be doing that work yourself. Do you know how, willing to put in the time to teach the cow? Not always as easy as it sounds, some cows are "difficult" to say it the shortest way!!

I have had a fairly good success rate finding things I want, or selling, on Craigslist. My Dexter heifer appears sold. Buyers gave me a deposit, will be building her stall this week. She comes with lots of "options", price reflected that. I said I would deliver her off too, they are only 10 miles away. Heifer was only posted about 24 hours.

Finding what you want means asking and looking in the right places, usually plenty of Jersey cows around. Just no bill board advertising! Maybe even checking with the National Jersey breeders to find dairy locations near you. I was quite shocked to find TWO Dutch Belted Cattle dairy operations within 80 miles of me when I started looking for a calf!! They are very nice cattle, slightly larger than Jersey's. Great temperment from what we experienced with our Fair steer calf. Not sure on butterfat ratio, but good milkers. Love the Jersey breed, but milk is like bottled heart attack in a bottle! Delicious to the last drop!!