How to get a mare to accept a lead rope

Amelie the Bee Keeper

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello! So I have a mini mare mom that I work with. She hates the lead rope with a burning passion, now this is a problem considering that her filly has some very overgrown hooves that need to be taken care of. So how can we get this mare to accept the lead rope?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
A lot of horse trainers will tell you that problems with a horse usually stem from two things: fear and/or disrespect. I'm afraid "hates" doesn't really tell us which we are dealing with here; this mini might simply have been bullied into things and be afraid, or she might have been smart enough to figure out that the rope means work and she simply doesn't want to do it. What is she doing, exactly? Is it just that you can't catch her, or does she fight like a tuna when on the lead?

Amelie the Bee Keeper

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
A lot of horse trainers will tell you that problems with a horse usually stem from two things: fear and/or disrespect. I'm afraid "hates" doesn't really tell us which we are dealing with here; this mini might simply have been bullied into things and be afraid, or she might have been smart enough to figure out that the rope means work and she simply doesn't want to do it. What is she doing, exactly? Is it just that you can't catch her, or does she fight like a tuna when on the lead?
She gets away from it. We haven't had her for long. maybe 6-9 months I think.

LlamaGirl4

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:thumbsup X2

I agree with @Bunnylady. How old is she? If she was bullied at a young age then she would be petrified of the rope

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, if she's got a youngster with seriously overgrown feet, I'm thinking in the neighborhood of 3 years old, at least.

How is she to handle without the rope?

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a mini mare mom that I work with

Do you mean you work with her at a barn & she isn't yours? Or is yours? :)

So, how old is the foal? Can you handle the foal?

Will the mare allow you to halter her? What size is she--height wise? Has she ever offered to kick?

It is not unusual for minis to have excessive hoof at birth. Part is the "foal" hoof, generally dries and comes off as they run around. I ask size because the very small minis (which I raised) do have more issues with hooves, the shapes and the wear. Part of that is due to their very size and weight (or lack thereof). So if they are long but not otherwise misshaped, it's a fix that can be done with correct trims. If they are curling under at sides, you have a more problematic hoof to work -- but it can be done. Some pictures would help.

Back to the catching & handling. Will the mare stand for you to approach or does she panic, run, etc? How & how much she has been handled and her size will help with ways to work with them. We are not there to see her body movements, head, ear, tail moves to assess her just being evasive or scared. Body signals are critical for a good offering of help & outcome.

It sounds as if a smaller area to work with them may be helpful, depending on the response (panic) level of the mare. And/or two people to limit her area to move, slowly approach and handle. She may well be scared, unused to handling at all, never really trained, etc. We want to help but more info needed.