How to Get a Tight Ring Off!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on taking off my wedding band, I have a habit of turning it with my thumb. Recently I found out that it would not come off. Now I really WANTED it off. I tried soaps, oil, grease, everything I could think of. Nothing worked. I figured I'd have to get it cut off and went to a jewelry store. The lady put a paper towel on the counter and sprayed my finger with, of all things, WINDEX! I had to work the ring side to side, back and forth, but it came off! WINDEX! Who knew?

That was several days ago, I still have a dent on my finger where my wedding band was. I hadn't realized that I had grown some fat fingers in the past 26 years. :lol: I never took it off, so it never was an issue.

Y'all just remember--WINDEX!

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on taking off my wedding band, I have a habit of turning it with my thumb. Recently I found out that it would not come off. Now I really WANTED it off. I tried soaps, oil, grease, everything I could think of. Nothing worked. I figured I'd have to get it cut off and went to a jewelry store. The lady put a paper towel on the counter and sprayed my finger with, of all things, WINDEX! I had to work the ring side to side, back and forth, but it came off! WINDEX! Who knew?

That was several days ago, I still have a dent on my finger where my wedding band was. I hadn't realized that I had grown some fat fingers in the past 26 years. :lol: I never took it off, so it never was an issue.

Awesome!

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If windex doesn’t work this is a really neat trick I found too.

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

It seems age and gravity get us all in the end! I used to rock climb for about 20 years and early in my career I slipped and caught my ring on a tiny burr of rock and was hanging 1460 feet over a vertical drop. This was in the Austrian Alps and my ring finger began to deglove..which hurts…. I recovered my position but had to cut the ring off and stitch the skin back onto my finger and give myself an injection of antibiotics on the spot (guess I should have carried Windex!) After that I was traveling in Germany somewhere and had my ring tattooed onto my finger. No problem since then and no need to ever take it off. About a decade ago I had the tattoo darkened and renewed in Indonesia In a ‘Tat-tat’ hut. It has had the same initials for over 40 great years now! I bet if we got a story line going here that there are thousands of different ‘ring disaster’ stories! With arthritis now I find that ALL of the rings I could once wear won’t fit over my knuckles…which is not such a big deal now since the “fat finger” has sneaked up on me too!
yep! Time and gravity!