how to get rid of coons

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Set traps and put some food into them. Coons will eat anything you eat so pretty much any food will work but we've found that eggs work the best. We put a few eggs into the trap and in a few days (most of the time the next day) there is a raccoon in it. I grab the .22 and shoot him, then throw him away. Pretty simple really.

Alice Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
Set traps and put some food into them. Coons will eat anything you eat so pretty much any food will work but we've found that eggs work the best. We put a few eggs into the trap and in a few days (most of the time the next day) there is a raccoon in it. I grab the .22 and shoot him, then throw him away. Pretty simple really.
Where are you at? Have husband with bluetick coonhound...will travel!

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Try the traps. As a general rule they work. You may be shocked how many you get. Buy the sets. We bought 3 sets and set them all out on dry nights. Usually they work. The first time we set them all out we came out the next morning with them full. Granted one had a possum in it but they are just as bad and ugly. Once in trap you just shoot them. Don't even think about letting them out. We trapped and then asked the animal control how to get them out. He said you just shake the body out after you shoot them. He thought releasing was too dangerous.

Last year we had a coon stealing our bait and never getting caught for a week. It ended up with my husband in a deer stand near our pond with his gun and me on the roof of the barn with a spotlight and a shot gun. Was not fun but it was effective. Look for paths they follow or wild life paths near water. Always a good spot to set a trap. Fish also works really well. Really cheap tuna works well and so do sardines. Go to the dollar store since its just coon bait.

Alice Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
Dogs? Shoot them.

I like what Curycomb said. SSS

@alice
I may be missing something but I don't get it. lol
I clicked the wrong post to quote - was supposed to be the OP.
My husband really does hunts raccoons with Maggie, our bluetick. She's awesome!

honeymeadows

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We lost 40 chickens to a family of racoons. Since we got our livestock guardian dog (great pyrenees) 3 years ago we haven't lost one chicken. Even with a red tailed hawk family that has a nest close to the chickens each year.