How to get rid of creeping indigo?

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don’t know have sheep but I want to have some for market. I know the land that they are planning to stay in has creeping indigo. How do I have sheep with this evil weed? I don’t have the ability to keep them 100% on concrete.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t know have sheep but I want to have some for market. I know the land that they are planning to stay in has creeping indigo. How do I have sheep with this evil weed? I don’t have the ability to keep them 100% on concrete.
Where are you located? If you can edit your profile, that will help people know what kind of climate their advice will need to fit.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
It kind of depends how much of this stuff you have. And what your budget is. If it were me, I'd consider spraying a broadleaf herbicide. Not sure what else is in your pasture either, or how much acreage you have, as that will make a difference. That stuff is pretty bad, the sheep should be able to nibble at it and be fine but if it's a large portion of the pasture it can definitely poison them.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have like an 1/4 or 1/8 land at my school. It is small…
Poison is probably the best option.

The plant is poisonous even when dead. So you spray it, it dies, then you really want to pull it all up and put it in trashbags.

Since it is a small area, if you get enough helpers, you could try to skip the poison and pull it all up by hand. However, the tap root is about 2 feet deep, so you will need something to help you get most if not all of the root. Working after a rain, so the soil is soft, will make it easier.