How to gradually make a small flock of sheep tamer?

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@Baymule thanks for the very informative post!
We do have a barn, but the yard around it is being used for the horses at night in the moment, so its not the easiest getting the sheep in or out without letting the horses out, and vice versa.
Also, I'm not sure what my dad would think of buying in hay, when there is plenty of grass in the paddock.
I might try just a little longer without penning them, just spending more time with them and feeding them as close to me as possible.
If that doesn't work though, it sounds like penning is definitely the way to go!
I have been a bit hurried quite often lately (been a bit busy with other things in life) and that would not have been helping; and also I do struggle a bit with 'reading' sheep, I think I am staying within their comfort zone, but actually push passed it and scare them all.

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I’ve been chronicling the adventures of The Texas Five (sheep) on my journal. Sift out the other stuff and you’ll find my posts on them, usually with pictures.

My internet is to slow in the moment, (the photos make it come to a halt) so I'll come back to it at a different time of day.

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@Baymule has it down pat... but the trick as she said is they HAVE to look to you for food... they HAVE to be dependent on you... and then with no sudden moves etc... they will learn you are not the big bad wolf ready to eat them alive....the older they are the more easily they will revert towards skittish... but if they learn you are the "provider" they will remember alot of it... but it means not being able to let them out to run and you will spend some money while they are penned in so that they have to look to you for their food....
Do you think occasionally being ' the big bad wolf" like when I have to trim their hooves and stuff will set me back a lot?
I don't see how I can avoid scaring them in this way sometimes, because if it needs doing, it just needs doing.

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Animal Crackers -
View attachment 97559
Or more affordable and available at Walmart....
View attachment 97560

When I tamed my wild four I really didn't look at them - more my feet :lol:. I kept them in the barn in a 12x12 stall for a few days. They didn't tame up right away, it was gradual.
I have never seen these before, so I don't think you can get them here.
Would just any slight sweet cracker or biscuit would work?
I have sheep that are total brats. They paw my leg for attention! Yesterday a ewe that I’ve had for 10 months lifted up her dainty hoof and pawed my leg. She was WILD when I got her. Spoiled brats………
I would love for them to be like that!
We also have goats, which we have had all their lives, and they love all kinds of attention!
Which does have its downsides, like if one bends over there is a risk of one jumping on ones back, and that is not comfortable!

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
I definitely am no Baymule, but I feel like it's worth popping on here because I have tamed down some crazy show lambs into pets.
I used to go out and sit on a bucket, or the ground, and honestly just spend hours in the pen. The lambs would come up and sniff, and you just have to sit there for a bit and let them get to know you before you move. I almost made myself just another object in the stall. It takes time though.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
and also I do struggle a bit with 'reading' sheep, I think I am staying within their comfort zone, but actually push passed it and scare them all.
Sound's like penning them is what you're going to be able to do. Hay, at $31/3 strand bale, is pricey - but it wouldn't be for long term. I don't know what your field or ranch is like - but you can pick things they like to eat --- mine will do anything for wild buckwheat or sugar bush sumac. You can put that on the ground in the pen, getting them used to the pen.
As for reading the sheep - keep your head down on the approach (don't "look" at them), when they pick their heads up stop, you can stoop down, or turn around not facing them. Then just stand and wait, or wait a little bit an leave. Sounds like you are super busy not with a lot of time to "spare" so that may be your best bet. Always move slowly. If you walk with purpose or speed they will move away.
Oh - and on the treats -- if you don't have animal crackers and have those crunchy horse treats -- they like those too - a bit more pricey than animal crackers - but if you have them on hand you can try them. That's what I started with.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never seen these before, so I don't think you can get them here.
Would just any slight sweet cracker or biscuit would work?

I would love for them to be like that!
We also have goats, which we have had all their lives, and they love all kinds of attention!
Which does have its downsides, like if one bends over there is a risk of one jumping on ones back, and that is not comfortable!
just gonna toss out my
t3908[1].gif
- I don't have sheep - but my cow ADORES ginger snaps and vanilla wafers. I would bet that anything small, sweet-ish & that can ONLY be gotten from your hand will do the trick.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
just gonna toss out my View attachment 97563 - I don't have sheep - but my cow ADORES ginger snaps and vanilla wafers. I would bet that anything small, sweet-ish & that can ONLY be gotten from your hand will do the trick.
Ohhhhh - damn - it would be "one for you, one for me" with either of those!! 😋

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have read everything, and it has all been super helpful! So thank you very much!
I'm not going to reply to everyone, cause my brain isn't up for lots of spelling early in the morning.
last night I took my time when feeding them, and they all came up to the feed bowls while I was there.
At one point the wether was sticking his nose right into the bowl I was filling!
It doesn't help that the goats share their food, (with plenty of space for them all) and they are rather bossy.
The sheep seem so timid in comparison; all it takes is for a goat (even a small kid) to take a step towards them, and they will hurriedly get out of the way.
I think I will have to look at separating them at feeding times.

Latest posts