How To Make Hay Stretch

Azurecowgoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Unfortunately in Mass (and VT and NY I'm told), it's not because of the virus. We got first cutting late because of late spring, then lack of rain and most sold out of what they got fast. Second cutting wasn't even made by many farmers this year because it would not grow without consistent moisture, so we effectively have right about half as much hay produced here as normal. Now it's cold and has frosted in some areas already by a week or two. Things will need to be trucked in, but other neighboring, and some not so neighboring places droughted too, so things will probably not look good and will run out even at the higher, brought in prices. Haying appears to be a fairly safe profession here as far as covid goes. Wish that made a difference to drought.
Jeez! I'm probably getting some goats next year, do you think it will stil be so bad?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Watch your area craigslists for a feel for what prices are doing. Ask for info (hay gossip) at the local small feed stores. I'm in the north central part of the state. If you're close enough to me I can give you fall back places to get hay from to check if they haven't sold out yet. I am certainly watching.

Azurecowgoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Watch your area craigslists for a feel for what prices are doing. Ask for info (hay gossip) at the local small feed stores. I'm in the north central part of the state. If you're close enough to me I can give you fall back places to get hay from to check if they haven't sold out yet. I am certainly watching.
I'm around Amherst

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
If Amherst, Ma, my sources wouldn't cover you. You're about an hour and a half away, but if you don't have the goats yet, maybe don't get any until you have some put up? You could probably get some now and save it. There will probably be plenty of goats for sale as winter progresses for you to pick up a nice couple.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If Amherst, Ma, my sources wouldn't cover you. You're about an hour and a half away, but if you don't have the goats yet, maybe don't get any until you have some put up? You could probably get some now and save it. There will probably be plenty of goats for sale as winter progresses for you to pick up a nice couple.

Is an hour and half a long way? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hay men won't go that far without a very large order and a steep price here. The roads are narrow and winding, I guess? I'd be happy to pm @Azurecowgoat my contacts, but I've had a heck of a time getting hay from anyone over an hour for less than $11-12/bale for second cutting (goat/ horse hay) not by the semi load. Plus, I can't store 700 something bales. I bet one could store that much get hay one could get it.