how to make them more friendly? and would they get sick if i.....

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
i have a question for you guys...
i have had my lionheads for most of this month. they still do not come up to me when i feed them or anything. "cowardly lion" will sit in the front part of the hutch when i open it but if i do anything other then just grab the bowls, fill them, and put them back then he will scurry into the back of the hutch. "nosey" is fine as long as i dont try and pet her. and i do pet her when i feed her but it is only like a touch and she grunts a little and scurries into the back of the hutch, but when i feed her she will come up and sniff my hand while i take out/return the bowls. "snow white" is the worst of them though, she will scurry into the back of the hutch when i feed her no matter what. she even goes in the back if i'm standing in front of the hutch too long, not even opening the doors or anything, just standing there.
carrots will not entice them at all. been trying with that.
i was thinking i could bring them into the house one at a time to play a bit. but they live in a hutch outside. right now it is about 28*F and windy and snow on the ground. tomorrow its supposed to be 40*F though. i'm worried that if i brought them into the house to play (we keep it at about 65-70*F in here) and then put them back outside that it would be like a shock type thing or that they would get sick.
thoughts please! thanks!

flemish lops

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I wouldn't bring you bunny in and out of the house yet. You should wait till it gets a little warmer. As for a thought to help taming them, try to give your bunnies a small brushing when you go to feed them. Or even hold them for a little while. I had brought home a bunny once that was sooo scared of me that when I came to his hutch he would stand on his back feet and squeeze into the back end corner of his hutch. Treats didn't help so I would bring him out of his hutch and put him on a small platform once a day to either brush him, or just hold him for a few minutes. It took awhile for him to warm up to me but it worked.

4-H forever!<3

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sometimes, rabbits are too smart for treats. I have a Mew Zealand who rarely comes out of her cage unless I trap her in her coop. And by the way, I wouldn't worry about bringing your rabbits inside to play. I take one of mine in almost every day no matter what the temperature. I often take my New Zealand out in the morning and put her back in the coop at night. I sometimes do this in 30 degree weather and I have had no problems. My best suggestion is to handle them as much as possible. If you have no success, they might just be unfriendly rabbits. Some are born shy.

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know this is sorta late to reply lol but I had a very scared doe that did not like anyone. I used food and when she would come to my lap I would pet her,and brush her,things like that. It takes time but im sure with some food and extra attention,and time she will come around :)

Hope that helps a little

Latest posts