How to not get attached?

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm with Bonbean--go ahead and enjoy the attachment, then get over it! I've been doing much better since we've started having them butchered at home. The 'last ride' really bothered me. The man that does our beef is just so professional. They look at him like, "ooo, what have you brought me?" and it's over.

Shelly May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Its easy, Just think of the walmart cashier ringing up the meat at the counter, HIGH $$$$$$$$,
but raising and slaughtering them or a butch slaughtering them is cheaper then walmart prices.
and better meat for you also. Thats how we get over it.

Bittybrat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
PendergrassRanch said:
Give them the best life possible before they are to be processed. Makes it easier to let go of them.
That's what we do- just one bad day.

thebirdguy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Animals that we are planning on keeping get "good" names... Animals destined for freezer camp are named T-Bone, Pork Chop, Bacon, Duck L'Orange, KFC etc.. We have been up front with the kids about life and how it all works... they have been great so far.. A steady stream of babies helps too, the little ones are always the most fun and the favorites.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was curious why you were veggan...guess that answers it for me. For some people it is for religious or health reasons.

I raise hair sheep....also know as "meat" sheep. We give them a very good and pampered life...yes we get attached...yes we love on them all...yes we eat meat. We got into this and chickens and a catfish pond, orchard and large garden to provide our own food.

I think getting attached to them is just a part of it...guess if one was not attached, there might be cause to worry?

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
ohiogoatgirl said:
its a mindset that you have to have. either you have it, you develope it, or you dont. i think very few people can actually develop it.

personally i dont want an animal if its not going to be producing food or pelts or doing something useful. i have the farmer mindset that i care for the animals so that they can feed me and supply me with furs and things.
i know that my animals are well cared for and have good lives. and when its time for me to dispatch and butcher an animal i dont fret over them. thats not to say that i dont feel bad a little that they have to die. its no small matter to end an animals life.
:thumbsup

VeganFarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
bonbean01 said:
I was curious why you were veggan...guess that answers it for me. For some people it is for religious or health reasons.

I raise hair sheep....also know as "meat" sheep. We give them a very good and pampered life...yes we get attached...yes we love on them all...yes we eat meat. We got into this and chickens and a catfish pond, orchard and large garden to provide our own food.

I think getting attached to them is just a part of it...guess if one was not attached, there might be cause to worry?
There are some more reasons. I'm gonna make a post explaining why so everybody knows, because people KEEP asking me.

Goatfan4life

Just born
Reaction score
I once heard from someone else that if you don't feel bad about killing an animal, even if it is for food, then it means you don't care. So, if you feel bad, it is because you cared about it. My dad had to kill two chickens and let me tell you, the first time, I sat and sobbed for the rest of the day. The second time, and the third, fourth and fifth time were much easier. Plus, once it's all over, it tastes delicious! ;)

Go ahead, name them, get attached, love them! It will matter most when it's the end for them, because they will have had the best life ever. :)

It is sad, but sometimes it has to be done.

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I agree. I'm going to feel terrible killing my animals, but at least i know they were happy and died quickly.

jjaazzy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I will be getting into all this shortly and it has really been heavy on my mind. I would like to raise my own cows, pigs, chickens but I don't think ......NO, I know I can't do the final deed. I can't even give an injection without a whole chicken dance before sticking the animal. The only way I was able to finally do it is Horses don't scream. Anyway, I then I say to myself I will send them out. But that bothers me too. To think that they are so scared in their final moments. So what is the alternative? How is it done when you do drop them off to be "processed" ? I am sure there is no easy answer but is there a better way?