How to outgrow the house you live in, an urban farming tale.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hell, I'm only 7 miles from the nearest Dominos and they don't deliver "this far out in the boonies"... I remember when I was a driver for both Dominos and Papa Johns and their delivery radius was ~10 miles. Of course that was in the suburbs where traffic, and stop signs/lights made that 10 mile drive longer than it would be to get to me here (2 lights, within a mile of the store). Fine by me... I drive up and place a take out order and wait 15 minutes to get it and bring it home.

Sundragons

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The single biggest challenge here to being too far out is access to water. There are places where you can drop a well and be OK, but, it is the desert. Lots of places on the edge of civilization, just have to find the one that speaks to us. My day job requires my presence physically in the office, so I'd rather not commute more than 45 minutes each way. Makes it more interesting. :)

Where there's a will there's a way though. We may end up some place else if that's what's supposed to happen.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hell, I'm only 7 miles from the nearest Dominos and they don't deliver "this far out in the boonies"
I seriously doubt anyone would deliver here either. What's worse than your "issue" is our old house in South Burlington. There was a Pizza Hut not 1 mile from the house but the one that delivered was in Burlington. Now South Burlington lies both south AND east of Burlington (in fact the Burlington airport is in South Burlington). They would not deliver to the part of S.B. that is south of Burlington. But the fastest way to the southern part of Burlington is to take the road that our road T'd off from. That road is the dividing line between the cities. They had to drive farther to get to the SW part of the city than it was to our house.

In fact, there was more than one time when they came down our road and couldn't find the address they were looking for. Same named N/S road in both cities, almost in line N&S, and there was a neighborhood park in both but on opposite sides of the street. When they couldn't find a house at #55 etc we knew they were in the wrong city (*) and gave them directions north. It was 1/2 mile to our house from where they should have turned north, 1 mile from that point to the address they actually wanted.

* OK, the fact that it was a Pizza Hut delivery told us that too.