how to reduce hay waste

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Today was project day. I decided to go with a somewhat covered, outdoor hay rack. My total cost was under $30, including the new 2x4s I just bought for farm projects. The wire is from scraps of goat stockade fencing from my truck transport cage project. The bottom barrel piece is sitting on 2 cross rails and held down with 2x4s. I intentionally used untreated lumber so there are no toxins in the wood if the goats chew on it. That may mean replacement in a few years, but that's ok with me. The top barrel piece is held in place with a bungee cord that is easily removed for filling the rack.

4878_img_0895.jpg

4878_img_0898.jpg

4878_img_0896.jpg

4878_img_0901.jpg

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
sawfish99 said:
Today was project day. I decided to go with a somewhat covered, outdoor hay rack. My total cost was under $30, including the new 2x4s I just bought for farm projects. The wire is from scraps of goat stockade fencing from my truck transport cage project. The bottom barrel piece is sitting on 2 cross rails and held down with 2x4s. I intentionally used untreated lumber so there are no toxins in the wood if the goats chew on it. That may mean replacement in a few years, but that's ok with me. The top barrel piece is held in place with a bungee cord that is easily removed for filling the rack.

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/4878_img_0895.jpg

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/4878_img_0898.jpg

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/4878_img_0896.jpg

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/4878_img_0901.jpg
:bow
That is a great design. do you think you could post deminisions too,

:fl
I want to see if I can get my DH to make one for my goats

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. Here are the instructions.

I made my dimensions based on the blue barrel I was using (I have multiple sizes that I pick up at a local car wash). This barrel is 39" tall and 22"diameter; adjust dimensions for your barrel size and goat size. I used screws to hold everything together because of the expected stresses. I think I used 5 8' 2x4s. After DW and I finished arguing about the design options, it only took about 2 hours to build.

1. Cut barrel in half.
2. Build 2 end frames. The uprights are 48" (1 8' 2x4 cut in half for each pair of legs).
3. The bottom support for the base is 32" and the legs are 16" apart (outside dimension).
4. The 2 cross rail supports that hold the bottom barrel are 42" long and mounted at 10" from the ground (top of the 2x4 is at 10"). This puts the edge of the barrel at about 18" and was a good height for my goats to reach into.
5. Place barrel half on cross rail supports and screw 16" 2x4 above each side of the barrel (inside the legs). Drill holes in the bottom of barrel for rain drainage if it will be outside.
6. Mount a 39" flat-face-up 2x4 on top of the ones holding the barrel in place.
7. Cut your stockade/wire panel pieces. Mine are 20" tall and 36" long for the main panels and 20" tall by 12" wide on the ends.
8. Mount 2 42" long cross rails at the height to catch the top of the wire panel (I didn't measure, just lined it up).
9. Use U nails (fencing nails, chicken wire nails, etc) to secure all wire panels in place).
10. Place in goat pen and fill with hay. Note- this is a critical step.
11. Put other half of barrel on top, upside down. Secure with a bungee cord over the top.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
One of the nice things about this feeder is that you could open the drain hole in the bottom half of the barrel and allow it to "drain" if it gets water in it. You could also use a different top (plywood or cattle panel and tarp and use the other half to make another barrel feeder if the herd grows. Or you could use the other half of the barrel as a water station using the same design for the frame.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Feed less hay

Thta's the only thing I've ever found that *truly* reduces hay waste. If you find that they're wasting about half of what you throw, throw half of what you've been throwing. They'll waste half of that for a while and then scream for more, but it won't be long before they start cleaning up a *much* higher percentage of what you throw..