How to seperate intact males and open females?

herdsman

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am thinking about breeding llamas this spring (2 females and a male) and on my farm the only pasture I have open is a 2-3 acre pasture with 5 strand electric fencing. I was wondering if I could separate the pasture in half with adding 5 more strands in the middle of the pasture and keeping the male on one side until he needs to breed the females and have the 2 females on the other side. The only thing I am worried about is I don't want him to hop the fence like after the cria is born because my friend had his male kill his cria.

Please help me on this or should I just get a stud for both females once a year?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Can you just use someone else's male? It would be easier to take them somewhere and get them bred. I would think that people around you would offer stud services. Then you wouldn't have to worry about keeping a male.

Alice Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We've taken our female llama back to the breeder who we got her from for breeding twice. They have an awesome herd sire that we could never justify the expense for just ourselves. Total win situation!