How to store shorn fibre?

MrsCountryChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've researched & found the best way to store shorn fibre is in a paper bag. But I also seen an alpaca special on a farm where they stored each animals fibre in a plastic tote. (looked to be similar to a plastic portable file cabinet... staples has these plastic squares for file storage)... I'm assuming it's just what these alpaca farmers just happened to have on hand.? What do you all store you fibre in when shorn from each animal? Do you store raw fibre differently than washed clean fibre ready to be worked with? Any info is Greatly Appreciated. :)

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I have to admit that I just store my alpaca fleece in the plastic bag that it was put in when shorn. I'm not sure about washed fleece. I've never done it myself. When I had it processed, I just kept it in the box that it came back in.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
As per my m-i-l, who is a *very serious* handspinner and fiber-arts person, the main reason to store in paper or woven plastic after shearing is b/c the fleece may have some dampness and you don't want it to mold or other sordid things.

Once the fleece has been washed and *fully* dried, she says it is better to store it in sealed plastic (she uses bags) b/c it keeps the moths from finding it.

Pat

MrsCountryChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. :) That makes sense to store in paper for dampness....yuck mold, that'd be gross! & the large 2gallon plastic big ziplocks would definately protect from moths while stored. Thanks I love being able to ask the "professionals" all my questions. :) :thumbsup