How to tame goats

Anonymouse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I bought a new farm back in February. In the middle of the sale, the homeowner passed away. He had two goats (1 doe, 1 buck) and 20+ chickens, all kept together in a run and sharing the same coop/shed. The homeowner's heirs asked us if we wanted the goats & chickens because they didn't know what to do with them. We already had our own chickens so we agreed to take them all. I am not really sure what to do with the goats, but I am trying to learn.

At first, both of the goats were very wary of us. Now, at feeding time, they will come up and ask to eat out of your hand but they will NOT allow you to touch them anywhere. Touching their horns (the buck has scurs) gets a predictable "jerk" away from you and they run away. The doe seems much more friendly and willing to be within "arms length" than the buck. The buck has NEVER tried to headbutt any of us. In fact, he seems to enjoy light scratches to his forehead, but won't let you touch any other part of him.

So my question is how do you tame them so they will allow touches? I don't even know how old they are. I shared a picture on another thread and someone mentioned that the doe's long horns seems to indicate she may be an old girl. I feel a little out of my element here....

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No worries. Everybody starts somewhere and wanting to take care of them is the most important starting point. Hello again btw. So, goat basics. The head is their “go” button. Basically, you don’t want to pet the head, it triggers butting. If they’re eating out of your hands then great! My grandma swears by sitting in a lawn chair and purposely ignoring the goats with a little food in your lap. They are curios creatures and can’t help themselves. For me, I would offer food in one hand and keep the other steady, about where their neck would be. They’d have to come close to my hand to get food. Don’t grab or move, just let them get comfy. With a goat, unlike dogs, the starting point should be the shoulder or neck. I find it easier to touch a new goat’s shoulder then back or anywhere else. The key is patience. I’ve had a goat watching me pet “my girl” who used to be the shy one, she sat there staring at me, eventually came over and kind of nudged me. I gently started petting her, and ever since she loves scratches. Goats seem to have a breakthrough moment where they just decide to go for it and see what happens. Just make sure you don’t hurt them and you’ll be fine. And if you end up having to grab them and give them a shot then it can still be alright lol, personal experience talking a bit. Anyway, good luck and you’re doing a great job.