How to tape up one side of udder ?

penanhaye

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Baby (only one) favours one side and Mum is a total nightmare to milk has to be tethered and hobbled and still manages to nip me !! Someone suggested taping up one side so baby (Mollie) has to drink from the other - anyone tried this ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
The babes do seem to favor one side or the other, normally twins will get "one each". You can use some of the surgical tapes but, it is so very temporary. Plus, hard to get on if she hold for a milk. I'd tie her head up higher and milk out side each day. I have put them next to a solid wall and a moveable fence panel on side you are..reach thru & relieve the side not used. I have found if the kid is next to you she sometime assumes it's the kid nursing & is more calm.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
My question is why do you feel the need to tape? Mama goat's with single babies commonly dry off on the other side and raise their baby just fine on one teat. However, if you want her to keep producing on both sides so you can milk her - then I'd follow @Mini Horses suggestions.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This has happened many times to me over the years. I would keep kid separated from mom and let it nurse every 3 to 4 hours. Milk out side kid likes. Put kid on side it does not like. You still will have to milk out once a day until kid can take it all. Most does figure out how to get tape off teat quicker than you can get it on. And, you still have to milk!

A milkstand so you can secure her and feed on the stand can go a long way to ease pain of having to milk. One that tries to bite gets slapped (flat handed across nose, hard) and after a time or two decides not worth it.