how to tell if goat is pregnant

nstilwater

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I need to know how to tell if my goat is pregnant. i got a goat for free off craigslist in september. she was slightly skinny and when i picked her up the guy wouldt let us on his property. we didnt see any other goats and were told she lived with a donkey. we got her as a pet she is a mixed breed although we were told she was a lamancha..........definatly not! anyway......now she is extremely fat! i was looking for signs of heat since we got her and didnt notice any.....although i am new to owning goats! her abdomen now sticks out from her sides probably at least eight inches on both sides. i realize that goat bellys stick out but this is really far and she is not looking fat elsewhere. if she was bred in september then she would be due in february and she already looks like she has triplets in there. is there anyway to tell for sure if she is.....when would you be able to feel babies moving? it i possible there was a male on the property cause like i said the guy was real shady and wouldnt let us on property she wasnt properly cared for and i felt sorry or her so we took her anyway very happy now!

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:welcome I am not sure on that, but I did the same mistake of buying a goat from someone on CL, it turned out to be a very bad idea. One thing that I can suggest, have her checked out by a vet. I didn't and thing's went from bad to worse with her. The guy didn't take care of her at all, and she was in bad shape. I hope that everything turns out well for you and her. Happy to hear that you got her out of a shady place. :fl:hugs

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
OK, you should do a number of things.

Get fecals done.
Make sure she has had shots. (You can give them yourself.) CD/T can be bought at the feedstore. 2.5 cc's
She needs a BoSe shot and some copper.
Make sure she has minerals. A mineral block would be good, or loose minerals are good.
Have you trimmed her hooves? A firm understanding is important whether or not she is pregnant.

AND POST PICTURES HERE so we can admire your lovely girl.
Also so we can help you decide if she is PG. Side, top, front, back and bottom (poochy shot is what it is called - with her tail up) I know it sounds invasive, but really some of us think that is important. If she has an udder, we want to see that too.

You have to have ten posts to post pictures to start talking! We all love goats and will converse endlessly with you about your goats so that will take, oh, about 5 minutes.

nstilwater

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you all who have replied so far. I am actually a Vet Tech so i do know about goats just have never owned my own. i even have experience helping with problems while kidding and c-sections, bottle fed babies, can give injections, etc.... i have already trimmed her feet, wormed her, she has all the proper food is very friendly and doesnt mind being worked with, halter trained and packs a backpack for hiking already. her udders look as if she has had a kid before although they are definatly not the best quality udders.......different sized and point in weird direction. we got her to eat brush and take hiking so were not worried about looks! i will take pics and post them tomorrow. we love her. Her name is Matilda

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
OK, you should do a number of things.

Get fecals done.
Make sure she has had shots. (You can give them yourself.) CD/T can be bought at the feedstore. 2.5 cc's
She needs a BoSe shot and some copper.
Make sure she has minerals. A mineral block would be good, or loose minerals are good.
Have you trimmed her hooves? A firm understanding is important whether or not she is pregnant.

AND POST PICTURES HERE so we can admire your lovely girl.
Also so we can help you decide if she is PG. Side, top, front, back and bottom (poochy shot is what it is called - with her tail up) I know it sounds invasive, but really some of us think that is important. If she has an udder, we want to see that too.

You have to have ten posts to post pictures to start talking! We all love goats and will converse endlessly with you about your goats so that will take, oh, about 5 minutes.
X2
we love to talk goat :D :lol:

autumnprairie

Reaction score
nstilwater said:
Thank you all who have replied so far. I am actually a Vet Tech so i do know about goats just have never owned my own. i even have experience helping with problems while kidding and c-sections, bottle fed babies, can give injections, etc.... i have already trimmed her feet, wormed her, she has all the proper food is very friendly and doesnt mind being worked with, halter trained and packs a backpack for hiking already. her udders look as if she has had a kid before although they are definatly not the best quality udders.......different sized and point in weird direction. we got her to eat brush and take hiking so were not worried about looks! i will take pics and post them tomorrow. we love her. Her name is Matilda
:welcome sounds like you saved her life.If you are not over feeding her I would say she probably is pg. what kind of a mix is she?

nstilwater

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
nstilwater said:
:welcome sounds like you saved her life.If you are not over feeding her I would say she probably is pg. what kind of a mix is she?
i dont know she is a creamy white color with floppy ears like a nubian she is large dog size she is a pig when it comes to food so i try not to feed her too much doesnt get much grain but she does like to steal the alpacas hay......she stands on her hind feet to reach up high......the alpacas are geting moved as soon as their fence gets fixed

autumnprairie

Reaction score
nstilwater said:
autumnprairie said:
nstilwater said:
i dont know she is a creamy white color with floppy ears like a nubian she is large dog size she is a pig when it comes to food so i try not to feed her too much doesnt get much grain but she does like to steal the alpacas hay......she stands on her hind feet to reach up high......the alpacas are geting moved as soon as their fence gets fixed
do you give her free choice hay? as far as pg post pics someone will let you know but the only sure way is a test either sonogram or blood test.
We can also play guess the breed from the pics too.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
nstilwater said:
Ooh, vet tech, That sounds like fun!

And pack goats, I love pack goats. We shall be looking forward to your pictures! ASAP! no, no, that would be STAT!

Do you have pics of her packing?

Latest posts