How to tell if shes preggers???

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
hello all! yep me again,ok so I am new to the goat farmers club and i need to know how to tell if shes preggers?
I noticed about 2ish to 3 ish months ago her bleating non stop at the neighbors soo is that a clue as to her maybe being in heat?
the current owners have no idea ,she in with a billy buck and a small pygmy maybe a buck. ok so looks like I need to also ask if he is a wether will he have "stuff" hanging down still?
I do remember seeing some dangelys. But as i said I am new and they are not on my property yet so I haven't really felt around on them, so if i put my hands on her belly can I feel it move around?
I know dogs and cats are like that.
I do know she had twins before but neither survived.

NubianNerd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wether=no dangleys. Unless he's really young and the bander hasn't made them fall off yet.
You will be able to see a change in her udder if this is her second time. It should get bigger. She will not go into heat again, a good way to check this is press down just above her tail, if she's in standing heat the tail will go up, tail down and running away if she isn't. You usually can't feel the babies for 3-4 months. If she was in with a buck, and is still in with a buck, I can practically guarantee babies, unless one of them is sterile.
Do you know why the babies died? Depending on the cause, there's a possibility that it may happen again.

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, a wether can still have a sac. If they used a Burdizzo then he will still have a sac but be sterile ;)

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok good to tell the heat thing,does she bawl like other animals?
I am most definitly sure the reason why they did not survive was having neglectful previous owners! She is on sweet feed and grass hay and gets no browse or brush. I am going to bring her to my place but I am soo worried I will kill them all from changing their diets and I am soo stressed now:barnie
I keep researching and find all this stuff about how a poor diet will kill her babies. I just want to take care of these goats and I am new to this and freakin out.lol. I don't know where to start really.
Her teats look a little full, but again I am not sure, my friends Nigi does were long and skinny but my litlle girls look ronder, plus
I think she may be a mini oberhashli I will have to post pics,
Wether he's a wether:) kinda gross but If I put my hands on them If he is intact I will feel all the stuff and If he's sterilized will he still have all the stuff hanging? or do they just go in and cut the tube that leads out? Ohhh Do only boy goats that have beards mean they are intact? This one doesn't have one and he has no horns but I am not sure if he's just naturally polled!
Thanks for all my advise.

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wow... lots of questions! Male goats testicles are BIG! After 12 weeks you can start having trouble getting a band around them. You will not even question if he is a wether once you see normal sized goat testes.

Take a rag and rub it on the front legs of a buck and his beard then put the rag in a zip lock bag. When you think that the doe may be in heat, let her have a whif. If she gets like a cat on catnip, she is in heat.

Grain for does is good. It guarantees that you are feeding the right minerals and proteins. That is if you are feeding a grain made for goats. Avoid giving them normal grass pasture to eat, make sure they have some good browse and watch their weight. Goats put fat around their internal organs and it is difficult to see when a goat is fat. Normally you can feel the fat along the spine and on either side of the tail.

Know whether you have selenium dificient soil or not. And make sure that the does are getting plenty to eat the last 30 days of pregnancy, and you will be OK. If you live in a selenium deficient area, make sure that you can get a Bo-Se shot for your doe a few weeks prior to kidding.

Mostly don't stress over the goats. Watch them and learn from them. Treat each one as an individual. If something changes from how they are on a normal day, question it! and Have Fun!

Chris

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks Chris you are always so helpful:)
So I took some pictures of them so you'll have to go look on the breeds section and tell me what you think.
To respond the black and wht pygmy has like a golf ball size dangler, where as the buck has a big amount of hanging testes.

Latest posts