How to 'train' a pony to accept harness or lead around him?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
He lets you pet him and all of that, pick his feet up or hug him, it's just the halter/rope he spooks to.
I found them in the barn so I brought the halter and let him sniff it, rubbed it on his nose, cheek and neck. He got tired of it and I let him go[didn't follow or try to stop him.]
I plan on doing that until he doesn't care, like you said, just no feed.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got his halter on! Went out just a few minutes ago to pet him and say hello. He was up in a corner and I pet him with the halter. Got the nose section on and he wanted to escape, but I wouldn't let him pass and started petting him again. He calmed and I was able to buckle the top and tada! :)

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rolled Oats!

I should of realized food was the way to any man's heart, be it human or horse....
:lol:

Picking out his fronts while he was free and eating. He wasn't so keen about his backs. If he was tied, I might of pressed the subject.
I can rub him all over and he doesn't run off, mess with his back feet, just no picking them up, brush his tail, pull stuff out of his mane, etc. All is just dandy if he has his beloved oats.

So, how do you get a unwilling horse to do what you want? You feed him. :p

Horsiezz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
secuono said:
Rolled Oats!

I should of realized food was the way to any man's heart, be it human or horse....
:lol:

Picking out his fronts while he was free and eating. He wasn't so keen about his backs. If he was tied, I might of pressed the subject.
I can rub him all over and he doesn't run off, mess with his back feet, just no picking them up, brush his tail, pull stuff out of his mane, etc. All is just dandy if he has his beloved oats.

So, how do you get a unwilling horse to do what you want? You feed him. :p
Keep working with him on the issue.... catch him, put the halter on, reward him with a treat,apple,carrot,a little bit of grain(keep it mixed up so he'll stay intersted) then do what you have to do with him(brush him, pick hooves, etc) then let him go. Do this as much as possible so he'll see being caught and haltered is a good thing and will actually WANT to be caught. He will begin to associate you with good things: food, grooming, etc. Just don't let him become pushy/nippy. Good luck!

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Congrats! Good luck with him! :)

I was also going to suggest that if you lunged him until he submitted, that he would be more willing to let you mess with his hooves, etc. ;) Just a thought!

WashingtonBay

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Glad you're getting the haltering thing under control. :)

Go easy on those oats with any pony... a handful is a lot for those guys. A carrot is better if you need to bribe them. :)

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's only a cup every couple days for the both of them. Usually I don't feed them anything, they just live off the grass. I have added hay now that it's getting colder and don't add any more until they ate up all of it. So again every few days w/hay.
Tying him up w/a thin rope halter to a post also helps since it's uncomfortable for him to fidget too much. But it is still a lot of following his butt back and forth, lol.

He has a lot more energy than I do, so lunging would tire me out before him and then I wouldn't be able to hold up his feet. Plus I don't really know what I am doing.

He's fat, but no cresty neck. =p
298659_271388279561354_100000705527207_912382_1254432824_n.jpg

291986_271389846227864_100000705527207_912388_718283400_n.jpg