How/when to introduce a harness?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thought this was about horses and was going to say, slap that harness on and watch the rodeo! Or no reaction all...But same could be done with a pig...though, they'll remember and make your life hell.
So, instead, get a step in harness and use treats to get them staying put. Clip it on, adjust to be snug, clip it off, repeat. Then leave it on and distract with treats or belly rubs.
Once fine with putting it on and wearing it, add a lead and give a tug forward, a treat and repeat.
Pigs really are smart, just don't make them scream and freak out, you're screwed after that.

Edit to add, get a strong nylon harness with metal buckles. You'll need to upgrade it at some point, too.

Bethiekona

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi there! We have a mini pig and started harness training when she was little. She is 10 weeks old now and goes on walks daily. That is the trick-take them on a walk every day. We use a rope that we tie on like a harness. It's great because it's adjustable (our pig is growing fast). When we first bought a harness at the pet store, it was too big and Izzie our pig slipped out. Then, before we knew it, the harness was too small. We use a soft rope. I'll try to include a picture in a bit. Just so that you know, Izzie still squeals a little bit when we put the harness on and take it off, but once she has it on, she's great! Best of luck!

Bethiekona

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi I want really sure where to post this so I put it here. I am getting a potbelly pig very soon. I will be getting him when he is 8 wdeks old (he will be neutered). I want him to be harness trained so how should I go about that? Also when should I start harness training him? And just for fun put any name suggestions you have (he is fully black). Thanks!
7A3804CE-AF4B-4900-B586-734279512538.jpeg

Piggly Wiggly ๐Ÿ–

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi there! We have a mini pig and started harness training when she was little. She is 10 weeks old now and goes on walks daily. That is the trick-take them on a walk every day. We use a rope that we tie on like a harness. It's great because it's adjustable (our pig is growing fast). When we first bought a harness at the pet store, it was too big and Izzie our pig slipped out. Then, before we knew it, the harness was too small. We use a soft rope. I'll try to include a picture in a bit. Just so that you know, Izzie still squeals a little bit when we put the harness on and take it off, but once she has it on, she's great! Best of luck!
Thank you so much!

Piggly Wiggly ๐Ÿ–

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here are some updated pictures of him:

Attachments

• received_540890796927149.jpeg
    received_540890796927149.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 117
  • received_1012723909535273.jpeg
    received_1012723909535273.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 124