How would you introduce a new rabbit to others?

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
I've done a lot of reading about introducing a new member to the herd, but would like some input on how to introduce a new bunny.

The reason why I ask is DH thinks Willard is lonely and should have a mate to share his digs.

Appreciate any input. :)

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
I've done a lot of reading about introducing a new member to the herd, but would like some input on how to introduce a new bunny.

The reason why I ask is DH thinks Willard is lonely and should have a mate to share his digs.

Trying to co-habitate unrelated rabbits rarely works out... They may fight and hurt one another. Unless you have a very large area for them to be, where they have plenty of room to get away from each other, I would not try it. It works better with rabbits that have been raised together or in a colony setting.

Shannon

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
oneacrefarm said:
Ms. Research said:

Trying to co-habitate unrelated rabbits rarely works out... They may fight and hurt one another. Unless you have a very large area for them to be, where they have plenty of room to get away from each other, I would not try it. It works better with rabbits that have been raised together or in a colony setting.

Shannon
Thanks Shannon for your input. I figured that but I wanted to put the question out there for DH. Read him your reply. He understands now too. Especially seeing how content Willard is being by himself. Doesn't think he's lonely now. And definitely wouldn't want to put any bunny in harms way. :)

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You are most welcome. We tried putting sister does back in the same cage after being separate.....bad idea! :( They turned in to a rolling, kicking, biting, fur flying ball o' rabbit in about 5 seconds flat!:ep

Shannon

BullardBarnyard

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
(late post, lol, sorry) If it's not too late I read that to introduce them, indroduce them in a place that is neither one's territory. Keep a fence between them while doing this, where they can still sniff each other. Then, after awhile of doing this, start slowly introducing them without a barrier between them (but still not in their territories) never do this unsupervised. Then, after a while of that, put one in the others cage (still super-vise them) and maybe they'll be used to each other.