1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Do you think Pony Rides should be allowed at Fairs? - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Howdy from North Central Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tommie, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Oct 12, 2019
    Tommie

Tommie Chillin' with the herd

Howdy Yall,
    My name is Tommie. My wife, Chellie and I run a small farm in Callisburg Texas. It is called Sissy and Bubba's Farmstead. We currently raise Boer meat goats, Tamuk meat rabbits and buff orpington laying hens. We have plans to raise broiler chickens in the spring of 2020 and are getting into the direct to consumer markets in hopes of moving this from a hobby into a small buisiness. I look forward to learning and sharing my knowledge and just shootin the bull!

2. Oct 12, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Welcome to the forum. We are in Lindale Texas. Please put your general location in your avatar. We'll never remember where you are from! LOL

We love pictures and would love to see pictures of your animals and farm.

AmberLops and Pastor Dave like this.
  3. Oct 12, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

Welcome, from another Texan! Sounds like you've got a good start. Can't wait to hear more about your farm adventures!

4. Oct 12, 2019
    Pastor Dave

Pastor Dave Herd Master

Welcome from the Hoosier state! :frow
    I also raise meat rabbits and am getting my small homestead set up for laying hens and milk goats next Spring. I am mostly having to wait because of the outrageous price of fencing. I am just doing it for the sustenance benefits for my family. I did get a garden plot started this year and asparagus started. We have quite a few nut trees, a couple persimmon, one apple, and pawpaw trees that I am harvesting from at the moment. Glad to have you on BYH!

AmberLops and Baymule like this.
  5. Oct 12, 2019
    Tommie

Thanks yall @Baymule I will be sure to put my location on there and will post pictures in a day or so when I go to town. We have really bad signal here and my phone is the only source of internet. @Pastor Dave meat rabbits are awesome for filling the freezer... not so much for a profit standpoint. As for the laying hens you should look into a large eggmobile tractor. Or small... depending on what template you are looking at. Mine is 10ft x 15ft. Since it moves everyday most predators aren't a problem. I didn't go off of plans when I built mine

AmberLops, Pastor Dave and Baymule like this.
  6. Oct 12, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

How many acres do you have and is it mostly grass with a few trees? What soil do you have, blackland?

We have 8 acres, pure white sugar sand, semi forested, we just cleared out a lot and will be planting bahia and giant Bermuda come spring. We have hair sheep, 10 ewes, 1 ram, and a bunch of lambs, 4 horses, bunch of chickens, and 4 dogs.

7. Oct 12, 2019
    Tommie

Only about 1.5 acres with sandy loam. And a few trees that the goats keep well trimmed. We are wanting more land and hope to buy some day soon but coming up with a sizable down payment is hard. I do have access to about 7 acres that my dad has and we plan to run hogs on it soon. Never raised any sheep with the exception of 1 american black belly that was given to us and we ended up putting her in the freezer when she got big enough. She was allllooot calmer than the goats but very shy. We have 3 boer does and 2 4 month old wethers that will be for meat in another 5 months we have 27 laying hens and 21 rabbits. Oh and our 3 mutts and another older wether that is my wifes pet. His name is herbert

8. Oct 12, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops Herd Master

Welcome to BYH from Tennessee! :frow:welcome
    Glad you joined the forum!

Tommie likes this.
  9. Oct 13, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Sounds like a great little farm!

AmberLops and Tommie like this.