Howdy from north Texas🤠

Wink

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Located in north Texas, between the D and the FW. Urban flock of layers, with meat birds once a year or so. In the city, so all roos go to freezer camp at first crow. City says I’m allowed 4 hens. I may or may not be in violation of certain local ordinances. 🙃 Depends on how you do the chicken math. I’m a fan of Ideal Hatchery.
I’ve kept Cuy (Guinea Pigs of the meat type) before, but not at my current location. I’m hoping to gather up enough new stock here to start a colony next year.
I recently learned of the TAMU-K Composite rabbits. No idea why I never heard of them before, especially since I’m an Aggie! I’m researching to see if I might change my Cuy colony to rabbits. Never had good luck with rabbits before, due entirely to climate. Cuy are surely low maintenance for me and are a good small meat stock, but rabbits are so darn tasty!
I’m an old farm girl, so gardening and having livestock for meat is normal for me. I’m also a retired nurse, so I understand that most messy stuff washes off.
I’m excited to connect with other like-minded folks. And pick some brains. And to potentially source some good local stock.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Howdy and a big welcome from Erath County. Glad you found us and looking forward to hearing of your adventures with reintroducing cuy or going with the TAMU-K rabbits.

There is another poster who, if I remember right, does have these rabbits. @Hideaway Pines, I think, has them and smokes them, but where she finds ZigZags that large is beyond me. I have Californias.

Lots of good people here. I'm sure you will feel at home.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fans and perimeter misters should give you enough cooling potential without having to g into a cooled inside breeding operation. The heat does the number on rabbits. It makes the bucks sterile in heat, and rabbits are very sensitive to high temps. The trick is to breed your last litters before the big heat comes on and make sure that the kits don't get overheated. Rabbits can survive 100 degrees as long as they have shade and cool water. Cold weather is nothing to them so you can do most of your breeding during the winter as long as you use lights to mimic long daylight hours.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from another Texan. In Smith county now, will be moving to Trinity county in a couple of months.

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Howdy and a big welcome from Erath County. Glad you found us and looking forward to hearing of your adventures with reintroducing cuy or going with the TAMU-K rabbits.

There is another poster who, if I remember right, does have these rabbits. @Hideaway Pines, I think, has them and smokes them, but where she finds ZigZags that large is beyond me. I have Californias.

Lots of good people here. I'm sure you will feel at home.
Greetings, I live between Dallas and Houston and raise Tamuks as well as California/new Zeeland rabbits. Happy to help in any way, when you are ready to get some let me know, and I know of another great supply of Tamuks in Dallas too. So between us I am sure you can get them going. I do smoke them (not in ZigZags :lol:) but in my vertical smoker... it works great.

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Tamuks do much better in the heat. Ours are in a building that one wall is goat panels/hardware cloth for ventilation. We are in woods with tons of predators, so this keeps them safe but cool. We also have two box fans set on thermal cube that come on automatically at 80 and 85 degrees which keep the air moving. The Tamuk males do not go sterile at least mine has not. The California's do... so that is a plus. And the multicolored babies are fun. I also have found the Tamuks eat less food, or at least mine do... my California rabbits are pigs....

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tamuks do much better in the heat. Ours are in a building that one wall is goat panels/hardware cloth for ventilation. We are in woods with tons of predators, so this keeps them safe but cool. We also have two box fans set on thermal cube that come on automatically at 80 and 85 degrees which keep the air moving. The Tamuk males do not go sterile at least mine has not. The California's do... so that is a plus. And the multicolored babies are fun. I also have found the Tamuks eat less food, or at least mine do... my California rabbits are pigs....
Interesting info!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Located in north Texas, between the D and the FW. Urban flock of layers, with meat birds once a year or so. In the city, so all roos go to freezer camp at first crow. City says I’m allowed 4 hens. I may or may not be in violation of certain local ordinances. 🙃 Depends on how you do the chicken math. I’m a fan of Ideal Hatchery.
I’ve kept Cuy (Guinea Pigs of the meat type) before, but not at my current location. I’m hoping to gather up enough new stock here to start a colony next year.
I recently learned of the TAMU-K Composite rabbits. No idea why I never heard of them before, especially since I’m an Aggie! I’m researching to see if I might change my Cuy colony to rabbits. Never had good luck with rabbits before, due entirely to climate. Cuy are surely low maintenance for me and are a good small meat stock, but rabbits are so darn tasty!
I’m an old farm girl, so gardening and having livestock for meat is normal for me. I’m also a retired nurse, so I understand that most messy stuff washes off.
I’m excited to connect with other like-minded folks. And pick some brains. And to potentially source some good local stock.
Howdy, and welcome.

I am originally from Texas, and am an Aggie... but now live in Alaska.

I am surprised at your meat comments... I would have thought Cuy and rabbits would have tasted almost the same. :idunno. But then, I have never had Cuy.