Howdy...from Northern California

Kadjain

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello!

I just linked over here from Back Yard Chickens.
I have a small herd of Nigerian Dwarfs here in Nor Cal. I started my herd for milk. I drink a lot of milk...seriously! I know the price of feeding the goats exceeds what I would pay for milk each month but if you add it to not having to keep the weeds and yard under control and having a full time hobby to ease my disability bordoms, it levels out somewhere.
This farming/homesteading is addictive! I started out with 2 does and 3 chickens. Now I have 3 does, a buck, 2 wethers, overy 30 chickens not including the 11 chicks that just hatched and 5 ducks! Thinking about getting two pigs... It was a hobby at first but it's turning into a full time job and I'm supposed to be disabled...I still don't dare call it work though.

Good to meet'cha!

CheerioLounge

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:welcome from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert! Glad you joined us! :ya

I too am disabled, but I want to add goats and pigs to my homestead farm. Have 5 chickens now and adding more as soon as I have my run expansion completed. Also going to try a garden again this year. Last years was a fiasco! Too many ground squirrels. :barnie
This year it will all be in containers! Best of luck to you and Happy New Year!

Cheerio

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
BYHCountessGreen.jpg

I grew up in So. CA... I really miss the Pacific Ocean!

tressa27884

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Kadjain said:
Hello!

I just linked over here from Back Yard Chickens.
I have a small herd of Nigerian Dwarfs here in Nor Cal. I started my herd for milk. I drink a lot of milk...seriously! I know the price of feeding the goats exceeds what I would pay for milk each month but if you add it to not having to keep the weeds and yard under control and having a full time hobby to ease my disability bordoms, it levels out somewhere.
This farming/homesteading is addictive! I started out with 2 does and 3 chickens. Now I have 3 does, a buck, 2 wethers, overy 30 chickens not including the 11 chicks that just hatched and 5 ducks! Thinking about getting two pigs... It was a hobby at first but it's turning into a full time job and I'm supposed to be disabled...I still don't dare call it work though.

Good to meet'cha!
Welcome! I'm for Nor Cal too - Concord. Where are you?

pridegoethb4thefall

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi! Fellow BYC'er and Nor Cal resident here too! Welcome to BYH!

We're in Placer county, how about you?