Hubby wants meat calves... help me know if it's a good thing or not

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So, my city boy hubby who has become a country boy after I moved him to the country :D has decided that we need to raise our own beef next year. He's talked with one person who has a lot more acreage than we have and has a good experience doing this for a couple years. My relatives all had cattle when I was young and I know how difficult and dangerous they can be. I'm trying to be open minded here... I'd love to have our own natural beef BUT... I don't believe we have the appropriate setting. He wants 8 or so calves to run from spring to fall and then sell. The cost of selling the the extra ones covering the cost of the one we keep for ourselves.

Here's the situation: We have 40 acres; that includes a barn, house and a couple of outbuildings. It's divided into three sections. One roughly 9 acre area, one roughly 11 acre area and the front 20 (where all the buildings are). There is a sometimes pond in the 11 acre area.

The entire 40 acres is fenced: The back fencing is multiple strand barbless wire with one strand of barbed wire across the top. The two side fences are three strand barbless wire... part of the back and the 11 acre side has an additional 4x4ish square fencing on top of the barbless wire. The entire front of the property has only two strands of electric fencing. My horses went through it so I have little doubt that cattle would.

On top of this we have young children (four under the age of 12) running around all the time.

He wants calves in the spring that can reach market weight by fall? I don't think that's possible but... maybe I'm wrong. What breed would we want to get to reach that goal? I'm planning on calling our local extension office to get their input for our area also.

We have mostly Timothy and Brohm grasses (a little alfalfa up front) and our pastures certainly aren't lush but they are there. On good years we get a few hundred bales of hay from the front 20 acres.

I have llamas that graze the back 20 during the summer and then have free range over the entire acreage after hay. Or, like most years when we don't get enough rain for a hay crop or the hail takes out the entire hay crop before harvesting they are allowed free range over the entire 40 acres starting in the fall.

We do not have a shelter in the back pastures. The llamas are brought up to the barn in bad weather... They have free access to their barn stall during the winter months and usually chose not to come in. I don't know that I have a stall in the barn for cattle or that we'd be able to get them into the barn if I do figure out a stall for them.

We live on the west side of the eastern plains of Colorado. How many head do you think we could really support?

Realistically what type of medication (worms/lice, etc.) would we need to expect to need; remembering that we are wanting to do this as natural as possible. I'm assuming we would need a stanchion of some type to administer any meds needed? We don't have one, so any ideas?

Any other helpful information that we need to know before making this decision? (Yah, I know... there is tons to know... I want to hear as much as you can offer here.)

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I say go for it too! You have a much better set up than a lot of people have including myself when it comes to land for them to graze. The only way to know for sure is to do it. Like redtailgal says, start out with 2-3. If it doesn't work out, you can sell them or put them in the freezer and call it good. You can't take a boy out into the country and not expect him to become a country boy! That would just be wrong!!! :D Keep us posted.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If you and DH are not experienced with raising cattle, then I wouldn't do more than 2 or 3. It sounds like you have the set up ready, just maybe some finishing touches. I would think that the other one or two could pay for the one you keep.

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Great (said with sarcasm)... I'm not sure if I'm excited or frustrated that you all sided with my hubby on this... :/

We will continue to research over the winter... I really am thrilled that he's become a country boy!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would say if you both aren't on board with it, then you should wait. Make sure you do all your research first.

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You can always compromise and raise 2 initially. One for your freezer and one to sell. That way your not over your head and you will have excellent beef in your freezer.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't go over two either, seeing as you already have llamas and horses enough to keep the grass down in the pastures you have. You have to remember to stock accordingly, according to how many animals you have already and how many animal units you are able to add in to your little operation without putting too much pressure on your pasture. The last thing you or anybody wants is to have too many animals and not enough pasture to hold them out on.

And the primary reason that your horses would go through your electric fence is because it just ain't hot enough. You will need a charger that is meant for holding cattle, not horses, which means the amperage will be up a bit higher than is recommended for your horses. We've had experience with having an electric charger that was meant for holding horses with the pasture where we grazed our stockers, and the wire wasn't hot enough because those animals broke through the fence. Dad put on a hotter charger and those same cattle that broke through wouldn't go within a foot of the now-hotter wire.

Be careful about grazing weaner calves on pasture that you say is low-quality. Often calves grazed on such pasture will need to be supplemented because of the quality of that forage and because of the fact that they are growing and need proper nutrients to grow well. Weaner calves (those that are around 6 months of age) need protein and energy (but not too much) to grow. Grain is about the only and best option you have to feeding these calves. And make sure you are feeding these calves away (i.e., in a separate pen) from both the horses and the llamas, as both species will get really greedy when it comes to the grain and do everything they can to get all the grain that the calves are supposed to have.

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oops.. I didn't make it clear... we do not have horses right now and will only have 3 to 5 llamas next spring.

There's a lot of good info here... thanks.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
phew - some keyboards on fire posts here

Simple - Get two weaned Galloway steers (minimum weaned at 6 months old)
These guys would love your place - bush, grass and hay but no grain please and no grain of any kind means a good chance of no health issues for a Galloway - no antibiotics - no jabs - no hormones - no gmo, just rich omega 3 meat - low on omega 6 (24 months of age minimum before slaughter) best around 28 months coming off spring or fall grass.
Invite your friends and family around for a roast beef supper and a ready made Galloway beef market is born