Huge lump on calf's jaw. Got some infection out or is it.....

redtailgal

Reaction score
Yes, getting the pus out and seeing more blood is a good thing.

I cant answer your question on the hydrogen peroxide. I don't use it for wound care because I think it does little to prevent or help infection, and I think it actually hinders the healing process. I use betadine and I do it twice a day.

Maybe some other peroxide users will be along to help you with the usage.

Glad to hear that he is doing better, good job taking care of him!

redtailgal

Reaction score
No! Sorry, I didnt mean to imply that you should leave it alone! It's been a long day here, lol, and I wasnt clear with my wording. :hide Sorry!

Definately keep draining and cleaning it. I'm sure peroxide is better than nothing, but with me never using it, I cant say how often to use it. I'd guess twice a day.

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok, got 10 posts. Yay :D

No offence redtailgal. I will keep it cleaned out. Thanks.

Here are the picture of the calves. Most of the pictures were taken yesterday and from my cell phone.

Warning Picture overload

Cow shed. The chicken coop is on the left.
9045020983458_ORIG.jpg

Pancake, the one with the lump.
3045021097801_ORIG.jpg

1045020983486_ORIG.jpg

10045020983469_ORIG.jpg

45020983472_ORIG.jpg

Pictures of the calves in the shed, just to give you an idea of their living arrangements.
2045020983490_ORIG.jpg

6044497830460_ORIG.jpg

2044497571663_ORIG.jpg

This was taken in the chicken coop about a month or so ago-
chickens2034.jpg

5043019406970_ORIG.jpg

9043019407031_ORIG.jpg

2042750499283_ORIG.jpg

42750499241_ORIG.jpg

1042750499264_ORIG.jpg

10042750499219_ORIG.jpg

Me with November, when he was a few weeks old.
chickens2062.jpg

Last but not the least, our 6 months old puppy- :)
4045021097815_ORIG.jpg

9043837617548_ORIG.jpg

8043871152419_ORIG.jpg

redtailgal

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. The pup is cute, and so is Pancake, but I like November! What a cutie!

As for the lump, yeah, that looks like the kind of abcess I thought it would look like. Keep cleaning it, make sure the hole is large and open and keep squeezing the yuck out. Dont be afriad to get a little rough with that lump, give it a good squeeze if he will let you. I really think that it may help to take a razor blade and enlarge the hole. You can also put a hot washcloth on it before you drain and clean it to help get more of the yuck out. If you dont see marked improvement within a week, you should consider an antibiotic.

Love your barn!

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Thanks for the pics. The pup is cute, and so is Pancake, but I like November! What a cutie!

As for the lump, yeah, that looks like the kind of abcess I thought it would look like. Keep cleaning it, make sure the hole is large and open and keep squeezing the yuck out. Dont be afriad to get a little rough with that lump, give it a good squeeze if he will let you. I really think that it may help to take a razor blade and enlarge the hole. You can also put a hot washcloth on it before you drain and clean it to help get more of the yuck out. If you dont see marked improvement within a week, you should consider an antibiotic.

Love your barn!
Ok, will do.

Thanks, I built the chicken coop and the cow shed from the materials in the backyard. Every one of each piece, basically no money was spent. :D My dad was a builder, and would always buy stuff on bargain and put them in the backyard. But as years pass, the housing market fell, and so my dad built a store to keep providing for the family of 11.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
It's lumpjaw, and quite common. Caused by something poking into their cheek or gum. The awns (beards) from wheat or barley straw often cause this. If you can keep it drained well (I often open up the lump with a razor blade or utility knife to allow easier access to the pus), and squirt either iodine or betadyne into it for several days, you will cure it. I would be extremely careful to not allow your calves access to nails, screws, or other small metal objects. They will swallow some, and get a nasty disease called "hardware". This is often fatal if not caught in time. The nails puncture the walls of the digestive system, migrate to other vital organs, and kill the animal. Hope your calf heals up quickly!
jhm--It's been a long time since I heard anyone mention hardware disease. It used to be pretty common and so much so, that it was taught in high school ag class. People are often aware, that a hog will eat just about anything, but cattle are just as apt to swallow anything that has a taste that is new or different and rusty objects certainly have a unique taste.

Farmerboy--Here's a link to lumpy jaw, it's symptoms and treatment, tho you've already been well advised on what to do. On the left of that page, are hyperlinks to most other cattle diseases and ailments as well.

http://cattletoday.info/lumpy_jaw.htm

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Great barn and REALLY cute critters! I think the current rec. is that if you are going to use peroxide, it should be diluted 50% with water. As long as the wound isn't healing over before the infection is gone, I'd go with RTG on the betadine and clean it out twice a day. I'd still use the Icthamal around the draining hole, but not on top of it, just 'cause you don't want to seal it over.
Looks like you are doing a great job with it!