Huge lump on calf's jaw. Got some infection out or is it.....

redtailgal

Reaction score
Goodness, they have grown since that thread, lol.

You are a younger fellow arent you?

I have a lot of respect for young men who work with cattle and CARE like you have shown that you care. You are doing a wonderful job and I hope that you keep this pleasant and compassionate attitude that you have now.

I have bottle raised a few calves in my lifetime and it is very hard when its time for them to leave, be it to the market or to the freezer. The last one I had was just as hard as the first one, but in a while, it becomes a matter of perspective. Think of it this way, if you didnt have some form of attachment to these calves you wouldn't take nearly as good of care of them.

You are doing a wonderful job with them. After they are gone, you will feel bad, but eventually you will start to feel gratified and somewhat proud of the meat that you helped put on the table.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I try to plan on getting my new calves a little before we butcher our 'old' calves. Then you get all involved with your new, needy, babies and it's easier to let the others go. Plus, by the time they are almost 2 years, they are usually on the obnoxious side! Just try to distance yourself emotionally from them a few months before butchering time. (My friends who don't raise animals call this my 'raising pets for meat plan'). Good luck!

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Love, love, love all your pictures! You are doing a great job and what a wonderful life your steers will have. As others have said, it will be hard to let them go. But you will know that they had a awesome life while they were in your care.

I too whish I had a nice creek like that!

Keep the pics coming as they grow. Please :D.

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just read your post on the birth on backyard chickens. What an incredible opportunity for you! No wonder you have an extra special bond with November. You have experienced something that most never will. Congratulations for your quick, level headed thinking and care.

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
redtailgal- Thank you. Yes, I am one of those younger fellows, turned 23 last fall. :D

Stubbornhillfarm, Cricket- Thanks. :) We are planning to find a young cow/heifer to be a family cow for family use, like- Milk, and calves for beef. We want a dual propose breed like a Milking Shorthorn or Brown Swiss. I am still looking for one in our area, but 90 percent of the cattle in the area are Holstein. :/

Update on Pancake-

A few days ago, I had peeled the scab off the lump, and there was no hole, it had looked like it had healed. So I just poured betadine on it instead squirting in it.
Today, I felt the lump, and rubbed it and tried squeezing it, nothing came out, so at the point, I will leave it alone for a few days. He is acting very healthy, and likes to run in the pen with November. The lump is barely noticeable, unless you are standing close to him.

I am the king of the Hill!!!!!!!!

N0!! I AM!!!!!!!

redtailgal

Reaction score
Good work with him!

23, I remember those days, live it up while you can, lol.

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Update on Pancake's jaw-

He is doing great, there is no lump on his jaw! He is 5 months old now.

5723_50021085339_orig.jpeg

5723_4050018823893_orig.jpeg

5723_10050021085328_orig.jpeg

Latest posts