Hurricane Harvey

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
The arrow is pointing to a mineral feeder. 2x6s and 4x4s with sheetmetal top.

DSC00018feeder.jpg

To the right of the above pic, is another fence running parrallel to the fence left of the big tree. That fence by the tree had a lot of debris on it, but was not broken.

After the water went down, that same feeder ended up on the fence you can't see in the 1st pic--about 300' between the 2 fences.. The feeder came to rest at the very far end of the picture on it's side. It had floated over the fence seen in the first picture, along with 2 telephone poles and lots of other stuff. Hoses, tires, roll pipe etc.
Picture1012171105_1[186]feeder.jpg

How high did it get? The yard slopes in every direction awayy from the house, so it was deeper away from the house that around the house, but here's what I figure the water was at it's highest level on the back steps. I know it got over the top of the wheels on my pickup in the front yard from all the debris I had to remove before I could drive it.
water level.jpg

How high did it get out away from the house? Not as high as it seems in this picture but it got got over all the fences.
iowa.jpg

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
So it is true then that the Marines only need the Navy because the Marines have not YET learned how to walk on water? ;)
My Moses impersonation..if wife had walked over to the left about 30' to snap the photo, the planks on the dock wouldn't have shown thru..
From early 2012 just a few months after I had built my dock and never got my feet wet during the 2011 drought. (was also back before I had quit smoking and when I thought that was a lot of water.)
walkonh20.JPG

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like the floods went to garage sales and brought it all to you. Your fields are nice and green and your cattle look good.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
My son just went down on a missions trip to help out- wow- the houses they were in were so badly damaged. Some couldn't be salvaged, others everything under the 4 ft mark had to be gutted, treated for mold- they used some kind of mold bombs (foggers I guess)... everything in these houses were destroyed.

I have to say- I am so impressed with the Texans. They really take care of there own don't they. Amazing! Quite different than many other places. I love it.

Been watching the fires in CA. Oh my goodness. :hit:hit:hit

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have to say- I am so impressed with the Texans. They really take care of there own don't they. Amazing! Quite different than many other places. I love it.
Believe me, there was plenty of help available for Texas, from within and outside the state. It came from all over, in $ manpower, donated goods, hay and everything else. Saw lots of private owned pickup trucks and trailers with out of state plates loaded down with all kinds of stuff people purchased with their own $$ and brought down and the tractor trailer loads of hay from all over the country was more than impressive.
That Cajun Navy? They were crossing the Sabine before Harvey was done making landfall, and they really have their act together too.
I know 3 different guys from other boards from out of state (Va, Fla, Ga) that came down to this part of the world and gave their time and labor to help out. We do try to care each other, but I'm not for a minute going to try to say we did it all on our own. We didn't.
I was lucky I didn't need any of the material help, but the words and prayers of encouragement and concern from online and via cellphone from accross the country were a huge help and blessing.