Hurt/Sick Pygmy Kid

SonRise Acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our 2 1/2 week old Pygmy kid (picture from today as my profile picture) has an infection and a dislocated hip. He was fine after a very hard birth but within 36 hours wasn’t. We ended up at the vet last week with an antibiotic and being told to completely pull him from the herd because overnight his hip had dislocated. He and his brother were in a separate birthing pen by themselves with their mom due to how hard their birth was and their tiny size. He got hurt, we assume, from brother hopping on him. The vet said they sometimes pop back in on their own in these little guys, but he was so sick he would never survive the anesthesia to surgically fix it and we needed to get him stronger first. His infection had settled in his joints. He did better, started taking a bottle, and even started to walk a bit.

Friday night late he took a turn for the worse. Long story short we went back to the vet early this morning and he’s now congested. He thinks he’s doing better overall but has another little infection. He gave him a second (different) antibiotic and he already seems perked up this evening. He also gave him a shot for inflammation.

Here’s the issue: he has pain from the dislocated hip. He’s grinding his teeth and treating it like it hurts. He will have surgery once he’s strong enough (vet guesses 4 weeks and we are 1 week in), but until then is there anything I can do to help with pain? He’s quite small since he’s only 2 1/2 weeks and was probably our smallest newborn born to date. Brother is quite a bit bigger is because he’s healthy.

Last edited:

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Best bet is to fellow your vets advice as long as you trust your vet(I assume you do or you would switch). It's hard to see any of our animals hurting. Going to be a tough 3 weeks for you. Wish you the best of luck!