Hutch question #2 re: cage size?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is a 2 by 2 cage too small for rabbits? (feet)

I had thought that 3 by 2 is as small as you should go, but then I saw a lady selling some rabbits that were in 4 sets of two by two cages each. Then a guy on youtube had them this small also.

I know we all want more space, but with times being like they are I am curious if this would work for some people.

Some of them even had a sort of half level above the first, to give more space. (But not all the 2 x 2 cages that I saw were like this.)

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's going to depend on the size of your rabbit, and if you are keeping them as pets or for production, and also probably your state's laws. A dwarf sized rabbit is going to need less space than a standard, which needs less space than a giant. Obviously more space is better if you can get it.

I suggest you make sure you can reach all corners of the cage so you can grab the rabbit when you need to. It's not fun trying to practically climb inside the cage to grab a rabbit. I have double hole cages that are 5 feet wide and 2.5 feet deep, with standard Rex, but I'm going to be upgrading to larger cages soon.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just because several someones are doing something substandard doesn't mean it's a good thing. There's also a big difference between 'optimum' and 'minimum'.

The hutches here are roughly 30" deep so we can reach into the back of them. They're ten feet long and can be segmented into either half or thirds. The smallest space is then 30" x 40" although we also add in a ledge or box they can sit on to increase the floor space. I'd like to increase that space and the next hutch may be 12' x 32". Segmented into thirds, that would give the bucks a 32" x 4' area which would be much better.

The hutches are usually kept in a full length run for the herd of does and segmented into thirds for the bucks. Sometimes it will be one third/two thirds for a nesting site and grow out area. It's modular so it can be adjusted to what the herd needs. The bunnies also have an exercise corral so they can get some running around space.

Latest posts