I am getting a new pig, and I have a few questions!

Piggly Wiggly πŸ–

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am getting a potbelly in July, when it's 8 weeks old. And yes he will be my pet. In the past I have had meat pigs. And when I was a kid I had a potbelly pig. I was to young to really remeber what she liked and things like that. So what toys do you recomend? Also I have 2 dogs (both females) 1 is a German shepherd 2 years old about 70 lbs. and 1 malamute she is 6 and about 150 lbs. The German shepherd does very well with all my birds and cats. She lays next to my turkey and is very gentle. My malamute however cannot be around my chickens or she will kill them but she is very friendly with the cats. I was Also wondering when I should start training him with a harness. Also let me know any name suggestions! And he is a boy. Thank you anything is helpful! Oh and I'll add a picture just for fun!

Piggly Wiggly πŸ–

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here is a more updated picture of the piglet. Its the one on the left.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-06-09-19-14-56.png
    Screenshot_2021-06-09-19-14-56.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Toys? I don't know. As a baby, he might like a snuggly stuffed animal. But I'd be afraid he would tear it up. If you get him one, keep a close eye on it. A hard ball, not anything that he could bite chunks off would be a good idea.

Will he be neutered when you get him? If not, you should consider it.

Names
Scooter
Dozer
Nacho
Jellybean
Pickles

Piggly Wiggly πŸ–

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Toys? I don't know. As a baby, he might like a snuggly stuffed animal. But I'd be afraid he would tear it up. If you get him one, keep a close eye on it. A hard ball, not anything that he could bite chunks off would be a good idea.

Will he be neutered when you get him? If not, you should consider it.

Names
Scooter
Dozer
Nacho
Jellybean
Pickles
Yes he will be neutered.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
He will be fun, I had a Pot Belly years ago. I tried to litter train her, but she never caught on. So she took over the back yard and would knock on the door for a cookie.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
She pushed up a nest of leaves under the clothes dryer. Smart pig, it was warm! So on cold nights I turned on the dryer for her for 30 minutes. She loved belly rubs and cookies. She played with our Labrador.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Be careful with the dog/pig introduction. Our dogs HATE out mini pig, because when he was little he would try to walk on them when they were laying down and it hurt. Within just a couple days they grew to hate him with a passion even though he was only 8 weeks old and just a few lbs. Your dogs may be more tolerant, they may not. Our pig liked balls to roll around and stuffed dog toys to cuddle with. Our dogs all love our cat and wouldnt hurt him at all, Ive seen our cat hanging off our dogs face when he was a teenager kitten and our dogs still love the cat. Really the only animal on the entire farm they hate is that mini pig.